Alive. The big 40!!!

Vincey Wincey POV

That awful feeling was forming in the pit of my stomach again. What did Adam call it? Being nervous I think.  What was I so nervous about anyway. It was just prom. This would be just like any other date with Rose. But in reality I knew that wasn't true. This wasn't just any date, this was the date. It was Prom, a moment she was going to remember for the rest of her life. I had to make sure the night was more than magical.

I had big things planned and I just hopped that all would go well.

A knock at my door interuppted my train of thought.

"Come in." I called.

I was surprised to see my dad walk through the door.

"Do you need something?" I didn't intetionally try to sound rude, but that's how it came out.

"I'm sorry. I didn't think it would be such a crime to try and talk to my own son."

"Well it's not a crime, just unusual."

"That's why I wanted to talk to you." He shut the door behind him before making his way to my bed to sit down.  "I know I'm not here as often as I should be but I want you to know that I still love you."

I put some distance between us because the moment was kind of awkward. "Is everything fine? You're not dying are you?"

He chuckled a bit and lightly punched me in the arm. "You're not getting rid of me just yet."

"Then what's with the random man to man talk."

"I just realized that you've grown up so fast. You're going to graduate in a few weeks and just a few short months later you'll be going off to college. It's like I just missed so much. I wish I was there more."

"Don't get all sappy on me old man. You did what you had to do to support your family. Sure you could've been around more but I have nothing of good memories of you. So wipe your tears away and be a man." I smiled playfully.

"That's my boy."

"Is that all because I really need to start getting ready?"

"Well your mom wanted me to have a talk with you before you went out tonight, but you're a LeClaire. I'm sure there's nothing that I could tell you that you wouldn't already know." and with a wink and a hardy laugh, he was out the door again.

NO POV

As Rose put the finishing touches on her ensemble she could hear her mom yell, "Rose, Your date is here and he looks delicious."

The comment brought a smile to her face and she replied a quick, "Coming!" She put her earrings in her ear and reapplied her lipgloss before taking a deep breath and began descending down the staircase.

The room filled with gasps as Rose came into view. The way the diamond on the upper portion of her dress glittered made her face look like it was glowing. Not to mention how fabulously it flowed with every step she took.

Her father was the first to speak. "Rose, you look gorgeous."

"Thank you." she smiled.

Her mothers eyes swelled with tears and she wipped at her face to keep them from falling. "Picture time." She managed between withheld sobs.

She finally reached the man who had been eyeballing her from the first moment their eyes made contact. She wanted nothing more than to wrap her hands around the back of his head and press their lips together but the presence of her parents made her think twice.