Hello Again

"Okay class, you will be reading a speech on humanity and I want you to create your own. By Monday, you will be presenting it to the class. If you fail to do this essay, you will fail for the quarter."

I smirked as I listened to my classmates groan and complain.

"There will be no excuses," the teacher continued, ignoring them. "If any of you are absent on that day, you had better have an excused slip from the doctor. If you do, you can present your speech the next day. If not, then you fail. Any questions?"

No one answered.

"Good," she exclaimed. "Now get to work."

I grabbed my copy and quickly skimmed my fingers across the paper.

"Ava," someone whispered.

I quickly shooshed them.

"Ava!" He hissed and I rolled my eyes.

"What, Ryder?"

"What you doing?"

"Oh, I don't know, Ryder," my voice dripping with sarcasm, "Does it look like I'm cooking bacon or riding a pony? I think I'm riding a pony, right?"

He sighed, "No need to be so rude. I was just trying to make conversation."

I raised a brow at him, "Well you suck at it. Now leave me alone, I need to finish reading this."

He chuckled, "Okay, okay."

By the time class ended, I had already finished reading the speech and brainstormed ideas of how to start off writing my own.

"Hey, where you headed off to?"

I mentally rolled my eyes before asking. "Why do you want to know, Ryder?"

"Because I want to know?"

"Well, too bad, it's none of your damn business."

He chuckled, throwing his arm around my shoulder, "Aww, come on now. I thought we're BFFs now."

I scowled his way, throwing his arm off me. "BFF my ass. Are you high?"

"High off of you," he said cheekily.

I sighed, irritated, "What do you want, Ryder?"

He gasped dramatically, "I am so glad you asked. Could you help me with my speech?"

"Yeah, sure," I said, waving him off, "But not today, I have things to do."

"What things?"

"Personal things," I said as I stopped at my locker. "Look, I'll help you tomorrow okay? You can stop by at my place."

He was quiet for a moment and I tilted my head. I can hear breathing slightly to my left so I know he was still there. "Okay, I'll call you if I can't make it or something."

I smiled and nodded, pushing my book bag into my locker and closing it shut. "Sounds great. Laters."

I walked away, leaving him standing there.

Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran started playing and I grabbed my phone from my pocket, swiping it as I placed it to my ear. "Yes?"

"Ava, are you still at school?" Uncle Dave asked.

"Yeah, but I'm heading out now."

"I forgot to tell you that I will be going to Greece. Something went wrong at one of the hotels and-"

"Again?" I cut him off and he sighed.

"Yes, again."

I smiled at the irritation that I heard in his voice. "Its okay, I can call Miles to pick me up."