NINE

|Heartbeats|

A few hours after our glorious escape we decide to end the little road trip and get some sleep

A few hours after our glorious escape we decide to end the little road trip and get some sleep. Despite a lot of objection Xavier finally called Marie and told her we were runaways. Averting an upcoming crisis, she promised to cover for the both of us and she also talked to Tamara and somehow convinced her that me running away with her dress wasn't half as bad as it sounded, even though it totally was. She even suggested that we halt our search for a suitable hotel, seeing as it would be very hard to stay under the radar at one. Motels on the other hand, well most of them were just happy to have guests for once. 

That's how we ended up here, standing in the parking lot of Mindy's Motel Madness. A quint little motel in the middle of an unknown town that wasn't even on the GPS. But despite the sudden temperature drop and the rainstorm brewing outside we're still in the jeep. Xavier's hands grip onto the steering wheel as I sit quietly in the middle of the seat, a result of the cold drawing me very close to a very strange acting man. Whether it be because of the ironically falling rain or maybe because of the perfectly awkward moment we've found ourselves caught up in, either way, neither of us moves. But we're unnaturally close. Close enough for me to feel him breathe, to feel his body shift a bit as he taps his foot, close enough for our arms to rest against each other 

"It isn't as amazing as it seems, you know." Xavier looks from the hanging neon sign and then to the slightly open door, very obviously trying to avoid my gaze as I take in his very vague statement. "Being in love. In fact, you don't even know what it is like until it knocks your feet out from under you. It's like lightning in a way. You can't always see it coming and when it hits, there is no taking it back. It is unpredictable. " My lungs contract as I realize what he was talking about and more questions seem to jump up in my mind than he provides answers. 

"What are you trying to say, Xavier? What are you getting at ?" I slip away from his presence a little, moving to the opposite side of the car. An unknown fear forms in my heart, a fear that he sees the things I try to hide.  That he's been reading into my actions, noticing the way I act around him, and if that was in fact the reason for this little announcement then I would surely die of embarrassment. Although I'm not the only one to blame, after all, he is the cause. He's the one making me act like this. The one making me feel like this. He makes me nervous and uncertain. He makes me reckless in wonder. He makes me do things I would never do, like steal a dress. He makes me want to talk about things that I've never even considered.

"Nothing." He looks at me, noticing the space between us, and sighs as a reply. "Nothing." He looks away this time, the thought of trying to explain what he's thinking probably being too much of a struggle. I wish he would just do it though, tell me what the hell is going on between us all of a sudden. Tell me why he felt the need to run away to this place. Runaway with me. But instead, he gets out of the car, stepping into the downpour and for a few seconds, he leaves me alone with my thoughts. A hell-like situation of utter, unfathomable madness. Until he pulls open my door and assists me out of the jeep.