SIXTEEN

|Crash|

Everything seemed to fall in place in order for the Gala night to turn out perfect

Everything seemed to fall in place in order for the Gala night to turn out perfect. Wendy and I spent an entire day hopping from store to store to find the perfect dress. She said that I had to look good to make Peter look good, but I knew it was her way of making me look presentable enough to catch the eyes of a hot doctor. She always was good at moving on. Whereas I see myself as more of an eating pizza and ice cream while watching Ghost type of girl. 

Although I had to ignore that shitty feeling tearing at my heart long enough for the gala to pass. This was Peter's big moment and I didn't want to ruin it with my mood swings. Luckily due to the suffering I had to endure, we found the perfect dress. Pink flowy chiffon running down to my feet, complemented with layers and bare shoulders, not to mention the tight waist that'll very much limit my food intake. It's no Ralph Lauren, but I feel like a princess non the less. I add some beige pumps, a small clutch to hide my candy bar in and a curly ponytail to complete my look

"Mara, I need some help." He nervously walks into the kitchen, hands dramatically attempting to fold the bow tie around his neck. His attention is zoomed in on the black material and nothing else, only when my fingers move over to his chest does he lookup. His eyes sparkle a little as a grin rests on his lips and I already feel myself blushing even though he hasn't said a word. "Look at you." He looks at my dress and then he focuses on the almost red lipstick on my lips. "You're going to steal the attention of everyone there, Mara." A simple giggle escapes my lips as I fold the side over the side until a little bow forms. He smiles triumphantly. 

Peter has always hated suits, a complete contrast to Xavier, who'd sleep in one if he could. Except much like the handsome prince, Peter is sure to take everyone's breath away when they see him like this- mine included. 

I smile and let my arms fall back to my side. "Speak for yourself, Dr. Carson." Without replying Peter takes something from the pocket of his blazer. He unfolds his fingers to reveal a gold bracelet with a single diamond hanging in the center, sparkling under the light. 

"Give me your hand?" I do as he asks and with a bit of a struggle, he clips it around my arm, squeezing my hand to tell me he's done. He smiles. "Beautiful. Just like you..."

The gala was just like every other- boring beyond explanation. But we had my near fall when we got out of the car to laugh about every now and then. The food was surprisingly bad and for some reason, there was more booze than food, to begin with. Although it provided some entertainment to see some pristine medical professionals attempting to line dance to a slow song. 

"So you're telling me that she actually paid to have the lab coat custom made?" Peter laughs as we sway to the gentle melody whispering beneath the loud voices.

"Exactly, she believed her butt needed to be exaggerated a little bit more than the previous lab coat allowed." I laugh along but it seems louder than acceptable or at least that's how it seems an I place my head on Peter's shoulder when a few people look our way.