FIFTEEN

|Pleasantly Falling|

"I am so jealous right now

"I am so jealous right now." Wendy whips her dark hair over her shoulder and takes another sip of her beer. "The first time you ever leave this awful town and you have the greatest love story ever to tell. It isn't fair." Peter turns the volume of the movie up once again.

The power went out a few seconds into the storm and even though I was exhausted, Wendy wanted to catch up and Peter wanted to watch a movie. So we're halfway through watching Pretty Woman on the laptop and Peter is pretty close to losing it. Wendy doesn't quite understand the idea of keeping quiet while Richard Gere talks.  Although I'm not sure if the aggravation is because he can't here or because he's got a bit of a man-crush, I mean who blames him. 

Wendy takes another sip of her beer and Peter finally closes the laptop, a loud sigh spreading through the room and if my legs weren't spread over his lap, he probably would've left the room. I lean forward and ruffle up his hair, an action that earns me a smile before he starts carelessly fiddling with the material of my jeans. 

Wendy keeps babbling on about The prince and me while I lean back against the couch. It's getting late and I'm barely keeping myself awake, but it's worth it. Not even chocolate cake at midnight with Xavier made me feel as at home as being sprawled out in the darkness with these two. Maybe I can do this, get over Xavier and just fall back into the routine. Maybe once I publish my piece on him it'll pass. 

I tap Peter's head and he groans. "How can one girl pee so damn much?" I smile as he sets the laptop down on the coffee table before pushing himself up from his spot pulling me up with him. He grabs a candle holder on the way, mumbling under his breath as I follow him to the bathroom. He throws open the bathroom door and leans forward, stretching his head in and looking around the barely lit room. He smiles handing me the candle. "Monster free. Hurry up." I close the door behind me.

Gently I set the candle down on the sink and open the cold water, allowing it to run over my hands.  "Mara?" Peter's voice is the only sound except for the water. There is a knock against the door as he shifts, probably leaning against it. I smile while playing with the soap bar between my fingers.

"Yeah?" He sighs.

"I might have left something out. You know regarding the reason I'm home." I lift my eyebrows and the single rays of golden light makes it look very creepy. "See there is this thing at the hospital, a gala or something. It's like huge in the surgical field and it is being held here this year because-" I hear him shift once again and I watch the bubbles pop as I turn the water off. I decide to leave the candle for now as I head out. "Well because they usually host it in the hometown of the person they are honoring and well this year, it's me." Peter stumbles forward as I open the door and he grabs onto my shoulders to steady himself.

"Is there a question coming up soon?" He sighs.

"Yes, well maybe if you had let me finish then I would've gotten there. "He throws his head sideways as he rolls his eyes. "Will you go with me to the gala, you know as my date?"