Chapter 2

Your pov

A light shaking woke me up, I swatted the hand away, hoping they'd leave. The shaking continued, much to my dismay. I groaned and poked my head out from my blanket burrito. It was Gromit, he jerked his thumb toward the door. Oh yeah, we have to feed the rabbits. I sat up and made my way toward the kitchen, no idea why Gromit insists we feed them first thing in the morning. I get the plates ready while Gromit cut up the carrots, of course has to be so dramatic on the first slice. I rolled my eyes as he finished the last one, each of us grabbed the plates and dumped the carrots into the shoots leading to the pens.

He was going to start the kettle but when he opened the teapot, a rabbit jumped out! A rustling sound drew his attention to the dinner roll container, when he flipped up the lid, 3 rabbits were munching on the rolls. They noticed his presence and threw the rolls at him and jumped into the fridge. I have to say, this is quite entertaining. He grabbed a wooden spoon and slowly walked toward the fridge, he opened the fridge, but the rabbits were gone. I noticed they were all sitting on the side door, I didn't want to ruin my entertainment so I waited for him to figure it out. He slowly turned to look at the side door, all of the rabbits jumped on him. He scrambled all over the floor, picking them up one by one.

I couldn't hold in my laughter when one of the rabbits hit Gromit on the head with his own spoon. He walked to the counter and stuffed them down a random shoot, sending them back into one of the pens. I was still laughing and he looked at me with an unamused expression. The service bell started beeping, signaling that grandpa was awake and ready for breakfast.

"It was a hard night last night Gromit, I need a good hearty breakfast under me belt."

Gromit rolled his eyes but pushed the cart with grandpa's breakfast into the dining room. I grabbed my own breakfast, a bowl of cereal, and sat down. Gromit pulled the lever to the trap door to grandpa's room.

"Pile it up lad, I'm in the mood for food!"

He was cut off when he got stuck in the hole. Again.

"Uh Gromit old pal, it happened again. I'll need assistance."

Gromit shook his head and walked to the second lever. Grandpa's been developing a little bit of a gut lately so he installed a second lever for when he got stuck (which was on a daily basis at this point). I just wish he would just make the hole bigger instead of having a giant hammer hit him on the head. He's seriously going to hurt himself one of these days (there have been plenty of "incidents" already -_-;). I winced at the sound of the hammer as grandpa landed in his place at the table. His machine dressed him and his head popped out of his shirt.

"Thanks chuck, I'm sure that hole's getting smaller."

Gromit set the newspaper on the table.

"Ah. Another successful night."

Apparently we made the front page again (since not all that much happens around here anyway). The picture was grandpa hugging me from behind while I held the rabbit and Gromit was saluting the camera. Typical Gromit.

"How are the 'inmates'? Must be getting a bit full down there."

Gromit nodded exasperatedly and grandpa's stomach growled. He laughed.

"Talking of which. Now for a great big plate of... vegetables."

Grandpa finished, both dissappointed and slightly confused. Gromit wasn't so subtle about putting grandpa on a diet. Guess he didn't like the hammer either.

"Aha, still got me on the diet aye lad. Watching me shape, there's a good dog. Oh, good morning Zero and happy 17th birthday too."

I hadn't noticed I was dozing off until my head almost slipped out of my hand. He let out a short chuckle, making me smile tiredly. He was about to take a bite of celery when he suddenly stopped.

"Oh and how is that prize melon you both have been working on? It's been a while since you measured it."

Gromit pushed the cart into the kitchen and I got up to put my bowl in the sink. A hand on my arm stopped me.

"I love you duckling, where's my good morning hug?"

I smiled and leaned down, letting him hug me. This was a daily tradition between me and grandpa. I would give him a hug and kiss and he would tell me he loved me every morning before we did whatever we were going to do that day. I giggled and kissed his bald head before putting my dish in the sink. I went out back to the greenhouse to join Gromit in checking the melon that we've been growing for months. The vegetable compotiton was coming up in about a week and Gromit REALLY wants to win this year. Technically BOTH of us grew the melon but really, Gromit put his heart and soul into this.

We were right in the middle of trimming the leaves when the sound of a loud snap and grandpa yelping in pain. I figured he would try to get into the cheese when me and Gromit weren't looking so I booby trapped the cheese. It sounds mean but it was the most effective tactic.

Gromit put away the tools and we went back into the house to free grandpa from the mousetrap that I had placed in his "secret" cheese stash. It looked painful, his hand was all red and swollen. He smiled sheepishly.

"Uh caught 'red-handed' aye?"

We both gave him an un-amused look, it's pretty hard to act innocent when you're literally CAUGHT in the act. He sighed in defeat.

"I'm sorry. I know you're both doing this for my own good, but the fact is, I'm just crackers about cheese."

I sighed.

"Look you two, if I must change me ways, at least let me do it MY way. With technology."

He pressed a button on the table and a control panel popped up. The ceiling opened up and a strange, helmet-like object came down.

"It's time we tested my latest invention, the Mind Manipulation O Matic."

He pressed a button and the machine fastened to his head.

"It extracts unwanted thoughts and desires. I haven't tested it yet but it should be perfectly safe."

Now I was concerned, grandpa has made plenty of generally dangerous inventions but this one by far takes the cake. He's never messed with his head before (not that he should be anyway), he's had plenty of body injuries throughout the years I've been here but the fact that he could permenently damage his brain scares me. He must've noticed my terrified expression.

"Don't worry Zero, it's just a bit of harmless brain alteration that's all."

That did NOT make me feel ANY better. He was about to pull the lever when the phone started ringing. He answered and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I wasn't paying attention to the phone conversation until grandpa suddenly stood up and tried to salute, only to hit his hand on the machine. He then looked us, pointed to the phone, and did a thumbs up. Whatever it was, it must've been good. I had no idea who he was talking to but I'm guessing it was someone important.

"Certainly ma'am, I think the three of us are about to go up in the world."

He whisper/yelled the last part to us, must be a big job or something.

"Don't worry your ladyship, stay where you are and we'll be with you in an-AHHHHH!"

He had accidently slammed his fist on the button, causing the machine to retract into the ceiling with him still attached to it. Gromit face-palmed. I hung up the phone and pushed the button again to bring him back down. He released himself and retracted it back, he suddenly stood up.

"Both of you suit up, we have a big job for an important client."

Me and Gromit looked at each other confused, grandpa seemed pretty excited about this. He was about to walk out the door when he suddenly stopped and turned around.

"Oh and when we get back we will celebrate Zero's birthday."

He petted my head and walked to the garage. I wonder how big this job will be?