Chapter 3

Your pov

Time skip to the estate :3

We were on our way to the Tottington estate for this "big job" grandpa was talking about. This place was HUGE. God knows how many rabbits there're going to be.

"Ah, very classy. The kind of client we SHOULD be dealing with aye you two?"

We pulled up and stopped. Gromit handed grandpa the catcher thingy and he was about to grab the rabbit when we all noticed something. The whole yard was FILLED with rabbits and rabbit holes. It looked like a whole rabbit colony had made its home here. Good Lord.

"Burrowing bounders. They must be breeding like... well... rabbits."

Gromit rolled his eyes at the old "rabbits are always horny" joke.

"Only one thing for it then."

I already knew what he was talking about, the BunVac 6,000. We've never been able to use it since we've never had this big of a job and I was excited to finally see it in action. Gromit was about to press the button when I rushed past him and beat him to the punch. He glared and I blew a raspberry at him. He should've known better, never race me when pushing a button is involved. The back of the van fell open and the vacuum popped up. It started up and soon all the rabbits were being sucked into the holes and were transferred to the container. I jumped when it sounded like the vacuum was clogged.

"Sounds like a really big brute this one. Give it some more welly."

Gromit nodded and turned the suction up to full power. A huge tunnel dent came toward us, whatever it was, it was REALLY big. The vacuum was completely clogged now.

"Maybe I should've used a bigger nozzle?"

"Ah! Anti-pesto you're here."

I heard a high-pitched female voice that was on the verge of annoying. A woman was walking toward us, she had red hair and a floral dress. Grandpa seemed mesmorized, this must be lady Tottington. Not to be rude but she kinda looks like an airhead.

"My darlings! You're all safe!"

She rushed to the three of us and grandpa puckered his lips, only to realize she was talking about the rabbits. I snickered and he gave me a playful glare, which I obviously returned.

"My word what a fabulous job, and not a single one harmed."

She seemed to be generally curious/intrigued.

"Oh, the old BV 6,000 ma'am, capable of 125 rpm, that's rabbits per minutes."

I raised my eyebrow a little, the vacuum was made maybe a month ago so it wasn't really old at all.

"How inspired! Mr...?"

"Oh Wallace."

"Mr. Wallace?" (I tried looking it up but they never gave Wallace a last name, I was only able to find out his age -.-;)

She then looked up to where me and Gromit were sitting and her eyes widened when they landed on me, making me super uncomfortable. I sank in my seat a little out of pure embarrassment, I don't do well with people (other than grandpa and the pastor that I help once in a while). I didn't sign up to socialize with people. Grandpa noticed that I was starting to freak out a little so he spoke up for me.

"Oh this is my granddaughter Zero, and that is Gromit."

"Zero? I've never heard nor seen a person with that name, and such an unusual hair color as well. I must say, she sure is a odd child. Quite fascinating actually."

She just kept...staring at me. What's with this lady? I wasn't sure if she was interested or she thought I was a freak so I wasn't sure how to react. I've never felt so uncomfortable in my life. Usually people didn't look twice at me and I was fine with that, I would just work with Gromit while grandpa did all the talking. Jesus Christ she's STILL looking at me! Do I really look that weird?!

"Not much of a talker is she?"

"Oh she hasn't spoken a word after her parents passed away and she came to live with me. But her communication has gotten better over the past 3 years. I've managed to get her to laugh and maybe a mumble but still..."

"But between you and me, I'd give anything to hear her voice again. I really miss hearing her talk, I remember when she used to come over with her mother and she'd sing for me while I worked. But all we can do is hope."

I didn't hear the other bits since he was whispering.

"Well I hope she will soon too, so is this all of them?"

"Oh there's just one left, hoist'er up lads."

Again, I beat Gromit to the button. But when the hose came back up, it was a PERSON! Grandpa gasped and made a gesture signaling to cut the power. Gromit shut the machine off and a man fell to the ground. He was wearing some kind of safari outfit and was bald on top. He was covered in dirt and a bulldog was trying to clean him off.

"Victor! Stop rolling around in the dirt and have a look at this! The ingenius Anti-Pesto has successfully dealt with my rabbit problem, isn't it marvelous?"

"Marvelous? MARVELOUS?! This confounded contraption virtually suffocated me! Besides, the job's only half done. How do you intend to finish these vermin off. Crush 'em? Liquidize 'em?"

This Victor guy was talking in a snobbish way while inspecting the machine, I growled a little when he kicked the machine and glared at the rabbits.

"They're humane." Lady Tottington cut in.

"HUMANE?! Well then perhaps they can be HUMANE enough to give me back my dignity. I want..."

He paused, looking at Lady Tottington, who only smiled.

"To...toupee, please."

"Oh grand, we take cash or check."

I chuckled a little at grandpa's innocent mistake.

"TOUPPE you idiot! My hair is in your machine."

"Oh no there's only rabbits in there. The hare I think you'll find is a much larger mammal."

"Argh, get out of my way fool!"

Victor then shoved grandpa to the side and opened the tiny emergency door and grabbed his hair. Geez, I've only met this guy and I already don't like him! When he put on his "hair", it was actually a black rabbit. Grandpa opened his mouth to say something but I shushed him because this was too good.

He then left, he rabbit still on his head. Me and Gromit packed up the bun vac and got in the van. Grandpa was talking to Lady Tottington, she's a weird lady, I wasn't paying attention when suddenly he turned to the both of us and asked "Or can you?" I had no idea what he was talking about so I shrugged it off.

But something was still bothering me...what did Lady Tottington mean by "I hope she will soon too"?