Chapter 38

Supernova Heights hosted a catch up session between me and Meg. Noel was off out so we were free to talk. Although I was interrupted a lot, having the twins under our feet. It was the first time we'd talked since she'd gone off and married him.

"So how's married life with Noel treating you?"

"I can't see why you two can't get along." she said, picking up on my tone.

I just shrugged, there wasn't an answer for it. "We're just different people. We just clash."

"You got along fine when you were pregnant."

"Noel saw something he could control and I needed a way of keeping communication."

He enjoyed the fact that Liam wanted nothing to do with me and the possibility I was actually having my husband's babies. That would've put an end to me being around, it was all he'd wanted since the moment Liam took interest in me. That's why we got along then.

"Before your wedding then."

"Before I was definitely here to stay in Liam's life. We're meant to be talking about your marriage, not my friendships or lack of." I turned the attention back onto them.

"We're fine."

"That's it? You're fine? You're supposed to be in your honeymoon period and everything's shitting rainbows and roses."

"That's not real life."

"It can be if you're actually in love."

"You didn't have that, did you?"

"We went on a literal honeymoon we never wanted to leave. We had a great time in Germany. Where's Noel taken you, to his work."

"He couldn't help that, maybe he's planning something special now the summer's free."

"He could too, he didn't have to have his band support U2. They were off touring. We could've started our summer already, you could've had your honeymoon but he chose those gigs."

"They're trying to break America."

I just gave her a look. "He is always going to put his work before you. You're part of his image and that's all."

"You're just mad he took Liam away and you couldn't go and you missed out on meeting Metallica."

"No, I'm not. You wanted to see U2 just as much as I did so you don't have to pretend you had a great time. I just want you to be honest about Noel."

"What do you want me to say? He's the person you think he is to me too. He controls me. He manipulates me. He..." she stopped.

"Is he?"

"No."

"You can tell me."

"Maybe you've got the wrong idea from what I was telling you before we got serious."

"So now you had your Vegas wedding it's all real and you're in love with him?"

She continued to insist her marriage was a happy one but I couldn't believe it. I couldn't see how Noel could make her or anyone happy. He was all about his ego and grand gestures to feed it. The lifestyle he brings must be enough for her to be blinded to it all.

Now the band had plenty of down time for the summer everything was relaxed. Everything slowed right down in their usually supersonic universe. It was so nice to have the summer together as a proper family. The kids were loving having their daddy around.

Peggy invited us up to Manchester with the idea of us getting our marriage blessed since we couldn't actually get married in a church. She knew I was still disappointed about that. I'd had my vows renewed and things like that with Enzo so it just felt wrong to be married in an unreligious sense. It also meant putting right the guests that didn't attend the first ceremony.