Chapter 39

On the evening before the ceremony Liam and Noel was at Peggy's or out somewhere. It didn't really matter, they just weren't at Liam's house with me and Meg as we'd asked.

We were drinking wine, trying on the dresses and having a sort of hen night. We were practicing walking down the aisle, practicing the ceremony, giggling as we married each other.

"Haileigh, you're bleeding." Meg suddenly pointed out with a concerned glance. "We should go get you changed."

I looked down alarmed at her concern and saw blood covering my dress. I was so embarrassed and ashamed I'd gone and ruined the dress. "Oh no, shit I've ruined it."

"It'll be fine, it'll come out if you soak it." She led me to the bathroom.

"It won't, it's too much." I said, scared there was something wrong with me.

I pulled the dress off and Meg ran cold water in the sink to put it under. I got in the shower rinsed myself off behind the shower curtain.

"Were you pregnant?" she asked clearly concerned about how much

"No. I wasn't, I don't think so."

"I thought you were on the pill or something."

"Yeah I am."

"Then how was it a surprise?"

"I don't know."

"Because you got pregnant. Liam won't be mad, he'll be there for you. He'll understand."

"No he won't, he won't be anything because he's not going.to find out about this.

"Maybe we should call tomorrow off, if you're miscarrying..."

"No, no way, I'm not. It's just a period, can you please go get me some pads or something?"

"Sure, I'll be right back. Don't worry."

As soon as she was out the door I locked myself in and shut her out. Neither of us packed them so she'd have to go out to the shop. I had some time to myself to think.

I stared at the white dress in the pink water as I sat n the edge of the bath tub, trying to work out what was happening.to me.

It couldn't be a miscarriage. I wasn't in pain. What if the alcohol had hidden the pain, what if it had brought it on?

I wasn't pregnant, I couldn't be, we'd been sensible. It wasn't the right time for my period, maybe I'd gotten lost with it after the scare last month, that had put it off track. Liam being away in America and then planning the ceremony, that was stressful. Or had I gotten pregnant welcoming him home?

Meg knocked on the door and tried the handle. "Are you going to let me in?"

I was still sat there on the edge of the bath and I wasn't prepared to move. I wanted to be on my own. This wasn't any of her business as much as she was being the concerned friend, there was no way I was letting her in.

"I've ruined everything."

The dress was never going to be wearable again, not with a million washes. I couldn't go to the ceremony without a dress. I'd let everyone down. I was so excited and the day was ruined.

"You haven't, you can still have the ceremony. We can get you a new dress." she suggested. "A darker one like navy or black, something more you."

"I can't get married in black!"

"It'll suit you and people won't know what's going on."

"No, I'm not wearing black they'll think I mistook it for a funeral."