PROLOGUE | 1987

"Fred, George, have you seen Joey?" Molly Weasley asked her twin nine-year-old sons in the kitchen as her seven-year-old goddaughter Josephine Moody hid under George's bed, breathing heavily and clutching her stuffed pygmy puff to her chest.

"We haven't seen her," The twins said in unison. "last we saw she was outside with Ron and Ginny."

"It's past dark now," Molly said adamantly. "and you all know not to be outside past dark."

"I'll see if she's upstairs," George said, the creak of his small footsteps bounding up the stairs accompanying soon after. "Joey? Jooooeyyyyyy?"

Joey kept hiding, holding the stuffed animal closer and wishing she'd thought of a better hiding spot. She quickly sniffled and wiped the tears from her eyes as the door creaked open and George's feet came into view. 

"Joey, are you in here?" the boy asked, only to be met with no response. "Mum's looking for you, she wants to know if you want to help her with supper again tonight." A bit later his head popped into view as he looked under the bed, and he started to grin when his eyes locked with the small girl's. "There you are. What are you hiding under the bed for?"

"I'm s-scared Georgie," Joey whispered, her voice cracking as she clutched the stuffed animal tighter.

"Hold on," he said, laying down and climbing under the bed so he was next to her. "okay, now tell me why you're scared."

"It was bad wizards that got my mum," She whispered then, more tears falling from her eyes. "and I'm scared that they're gonna get me now."

"You're safe, Jo," George assured her, pulling her closer in his arms. "your dad's out looking for them. And, you're with us."

"But what if he doesn't catch them?" Joey asked, her voice breaking once more. 

"He will," George insisted. "your dad's an awesome wizard catcher. And besides, you're safe here."

"I am?" She asked, and he nodded.

"Yeah," he said. "you've got Mum and Dad, and all of us protecting you. Especially me. I'm gonna protect you."

"Promise?" She asked in a whisper.

"I promise." he said, holding out his pinkie finger for her to intertwine with her own. "I'll never let anything hurt you." He pulled Joey into a tight hug then, and she hugged him back, not wanting to let him go. "Can we get out from under the bed now?"

Joey nodded, crawling out and standing up. "Okay," she said. "I'll go help Molly with dinner now. And Georgie?"

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for protecting me."