17 | Girl Talk

"So that's it?" Rowan asked as Joey quietly recounted the events of her meeting with George while they sat in the library studying, Arden, Luna and Nicolette watching the girl with raised eyebrows. "He just kissed you and then you left?"

"Well, it wasn't like that." she assured them. "After the kiss, we both just kind of suggested that it was getting late and that we should be getting back before either one of us were caught being out there."

"So you didn't want to kiss him?" Nicolette asked, crossing her arms across her chest and sending a wink in Joey's direction, a smirk drawn on her lips.

"Well I didn't say that..." Joey trailed off, glancing down at her Herbology book briefly before shrugging and looking back up at them. "but who knows if he even meant to kiss me? And that it wasn't an accident?"

"An accident where his face just so happened to fall directly on yours." Rowan said sarcastically, stifling a laugh. "Joey, I've known you and George since I was eleven. I've seen the way you've always looked at each other. This was bound to happen eventually."

"So now give us the details." Arden pressed. "How was it?"

Joey shrugged, unable to help the smile from creeping up on her face. "I mean I don't have much to compare it to, unless you count that one time in fifth year that I snogged Roger Davies at a party. Still not one of my proudest moments, by the way. But I don't know. It was nice."

"Have you talked to him since?" Arden asked, and Joey shook her head.

"I thought about writing to him, but I don't even know what I'd say. Where would I even begin?" she asked, resting her head in her hands.

"Well, we leave for Christmas break in three days, and you'll see him then." Nicole reminded her. "And then maybe you two can figure out whatever it is that's going on."

"If we get a moment alone," Joey countered. "everyone's going to be at Shell Cottage. It's one thing being at the Burrow, but Bill and Fleur's is much smaller. With everyone around... maybe not. I guess I'm just scared, you know? George is my best friend and I don't want this to ruin everything."

"Well, then in that case, you need to get your mind off things." Nicolette concluded, putting her books back into her backpack and pulling it onto her shoulders. "Come on, we're headed back."

"What for?" Rowan asked, following her movements and closing his Astronomy book.

"We're going to decorate for Christmas, duh," she said. "come on, Rowan, get into the spirit."

"If you insist," he said, standing up, and Joey and Arden followed suit. 

Nicolette led the way back up to the Room of Requirement, taking extra precautions to make sure the group wouldn't be noticed on the way in. The room was mostly empty when they returned, except for Monty lingering about with Michael Corner, Anthony Goldstein and Terry Boot doing homework against one wall and Colin and Dennis Creevey sitting on their sleeping bags and talking over near another. Tommy still lounged in one of the hammocks, Seamus sitting next to him as they chatted animatedly amongst themselves. Neville stood near the back corner, inspecting an evergreen tree and a box of ornaments that lay near it.

"Which one of you did it?" Neville asked as they approached, a grin on his face as he looked back at the boxes. "Who was in need of holiday decorations?"

"That would be me." Nicolette said with a proud smile. "Oi!" she yelled, capturing the attention of the boys scattered around the room. "We're going to get a bit festive and make this place look a bit more cheerful. So all of you, get up off your lazy arses and come grab some decorations. Come on, move it!"

Slowly, each of the boys stood up from their respective spots, wandering over towards the boxes filled with garlands and ornaments. Nicolette, Arden, Neville and Luna started to put the garland on the tree while Tommy and Seamus grabbed a box filled with wreaths and began to place them around the room.

"Come on, help me string this up along the wall." Rowan said to Joey, grabbing a box filled with green garland.

"See, and it's so much more fun doing it by hand instead of only using magic," Nicole spoke loudly to everyone in the room so they could all hear. "Great work, everyone."

Joey grabbed the first end of the garland from the box, climbing up onto one of the desks against the wall to reach the top. As soon as it was secured into place, she hopped back down, Rowan pulling out his wand to keep the desk levitating in order to move it down the wall so she could secure the next area of the garland.

"So aside from the kiss ending the night, how did the rest of it go?" Rowan asked, keeping his voice down. "Again, don't spare the details, or I'll find a way to get them out of you."

"Who knew you were such a sucker for girl talk, Woody?" she teased, using his Potterwatch nickname.

He shrugged. "What can I say? I'm nosey and this is the first time we've ever needed to have one of these conversations."

"Honestly, it was a lot of fun." she admitted. "We didn't do much. Not much is open these days, and we didn't want to be caught going into a crowded place, like the Three Broomsticks. So we just did Honeydukes, and then we went to talk down by the Shrieking Shack. We talked for a bit about what a shit show Hogwarts is these days, and he vowed to keep me safe. And then it just happened."

"Look, Joey, as your friend, I'm going to be honest with you." Rowan promised. "To me, it doesn't seem like it was just nothing. To me, it seemed as if George wanted to kiss you because he fancies you in the same way you've always fancied him. I know he's your best friend and you never wanted to think about it being that way, but I think it really could end up being more. Even if you have to go out towards the beach at Shell Cottage, make sure you find the time to talk to him. I'll help get everyone away if I have to."

"Thanks, Rowan," Joey said with a smile. "you're a really great friend, you know that?"

"What can I say?" he shrugged. "I'm a Hufflepuff, it's in my nature. Now come on, let's get this garland up before Nic yells at us."