34 | Home

"Guess that means final exams are cancelled," George said with a small smirk, surveying the damage over the castle from the hours before.

"Who cares?" Joey asked, laughing with a small shrug. "Kingsley's set to become Minister now. He's offered everyone in Dumbledore's Army a job in the Auror's office, should they accept. It's being led by Harry..." she trailed off.

"Wait," George said, turning back toward his girlfriend. "you took the job?"

"I told Kingsley I'd consider it." she explained. "But I probably will. I am a Moody after all. Was bound to happen sooner or later. I have a legacy to continue here."

"Josephine Moody, famed Auror." he said with a smile, squeezing her hand. "I like the sound of that."

"There you two are," Molly said, walking over with Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Percy and Arthur. "are you ready to head home?"

Joey looked to George, who nodded slowly before joining hands with the rest of the group. Taking one last look at the destroyed castle, Joey shut her eyes, welcoming the feeling of Disapparition before landing on her feet and opening her eyes once more to see the Burrow.

She hadn't seen the Burrow since she left for school in September. While it had surely been broken into while the Weasleys were in hiding, it was still the home the family had always known.

"Just needs a little fixing up is all." Arthur mused, wandering up towards the house and proceeding to fix the windows.

"I just can't help but picture him being here." George said in a small, cracked voice, not letting go of Joey's hand.

"Come on," she said, reaching up and stroking his cheek with her thumb, noticing the dirt and dried blood on the side of his face. "let's go inside and get cleaned up."

Joey followed George into the house, where Arthur and Molly were cleaning up the little bits around the kitchen that had been messed up, repairing the furniture and making sure everything was back to normal. Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Harry sat on the couch, and Percy was heading up the stairs toward his old bedroom.

Even though the house had changed considerably over the past few years, the stairs still seemed to creak the same as Joey followed George up to his and Fred's bedroom. George paused outside the door, willing himself to push the door open.

"S-sorry," he said, shaking his head. "I just... need a moment."

"It's okay," she reassured him, rubbing his back softly. "whenever you're ready."

George took a deep breath, nodding and pushing the door open, slowly surveying the two beds in the room as he walked over to Fred's and dropped to his knees, sobbing as he buried his face in Fred's pillow.

"I'm sorry," George said between sobs, clutching the pillow tighter. "I'm so sorry, Freddie."

"You did the best you could," Joey told him, taking a seat on George's bed. "there was nothing you could've done, Georgie."

After a moment, George stood back up, crossing over to her and wrapping his arms around her tightly, burying his face in her neck as the sobs kept coming. She ran her fingers through his hair, holding onto him as he sat down on the bed next to her.

"Let it out," Joey encouraged him. "I've got you. Come on, let's go get cleaned up and get you in bed so you can rest. Come on, love."

Joey helped George up, crossing to his dresser and pulling out a spare change of clothes for him before rummaging through the drawer of her own belongings she kept at the Burrow and grabbing her own. Leading him into the bathroom, she turned on the shower, letting it heat up while she helped George out of his torn clothes from the battle before pulling her own off and getting them into the shower.

"Such a shame," Joey mused, trying to lighten the air. "that was my favorite shirt."

"How's your shoulder?" George asked, his fingers tracing over where she'd been hit in the Astronomy Tower.

"Doesn't even hurt anymore." she assured him, shaking her head. "I'm alright."

George pulled her into his arms once more, tears mixing in with the hot water falling from the shower-head.

"I just can't help but think about how I almost lost you too." he said.

"Tonks saved me," Joey said. "she gave her life to save mine."

"She's a true mother." he said. "She cared for her own. She never would've let you die on her watch."

The silence spread for a moment as Joey looked down toward the ground, her eyes lingering on the floor for a bit before she felt George's hand under her chin, tilting her head back up to look at him.

"I love you." he said, causing a small smile to spread across her face.

"I love you too."

"Is he asleep?" Hermione asked as Joey stepped down the last flight of stairs, seeing her, Ron and Harry still sitting in the living room.

Joey nodded. "Finally," she said, taking a seat next to Harry. "So when did this happen?" she asked, gesturing to where Hermione was leaning against Ron.

"Last night, as a matter of fact." Hermione said with a chuckle as Ron wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "What about you and George? Ron mentioned it was over Christmas, but I didn't hear any details."

Joey shrugged, a smile growing as she recounted the memories. "He came to visit a bit before Christmas, and we went out to Hogsmeade. We kissed then, but things were... awkward. We didn't speak again until I got to Shell Cottage for the holidays, and that's just sort of when everything happened."

"Well, we all knew it was bound to happen eventually." Ron said. "Growing up, you did always like him better than the rest of us."

"So have you given anymore thought to joining me in the Auror's office?" Harry asked, and Joey nodded enthusiastically.

"You do know my last name is Moody, right?" she asked him, smirking. "Of course I'll be joining you."

"I'll be there too." Ron said. "Dumbledore's Army is about to take over the Auror's office. Look out, Dark wizards on the run. We're coming for you."

"Not me," Hermione said with a laugh, shaking her head. "I'm going back to school. Figured I'd finish the seventh year education I never got."

"Eh, you didn't miss much." Joey assured her. "Though I'm sure it might be much better now that you won't have the Carrows to watch out for. So, now that I have you all here... it's story time. Tell me all about what happened while you three were away."