25 | Love Potion

"So, I've been thinking." Nicolette said as the group took their usual seats in the library.

"That's never a good sign." Monty teased, leading her to playfully punch him in the arm.

"What have you been thinking about?" Joey asked, pulling the Spellman's Syllabary from her bag and placing it next to her parchment, ink and quill.

"Well, as you know, Valentine's Day is this Saturday." she started. "And so many people have dates. You and George, Rowan's finally got Hannah..." she trailed off.

"I'm still single," Monty pointed out.

"Yeah, but you can talk yourself into just about anyone's bed," she retorted.

He shrugged. "Okay, you have a point."

"Anyways, I just think it's high time I finally slip Longbottom a love potion." she said simply. "All I have to do is get Fred or George to meet me at Aberforth's with one before Saturday. One slip into Neville's pumpkin juice, and then, boom. I have a Valentine's Day date."

"I mean, it's a great plan, Cola," Joey encouraged. "except you're forgetting one thing."

"I know, I know, it causes infatuation and obsession, not love." Nicolette said.

"Not that," she said, shaking her head. "I think you're forgetting you don't need a love potion when it comes to Neville. He's been completely smitten with you since second year."

"He has not," Nic insisted.

"Except he has," Joey assured her.

"Cole, I didn't get here until fifth year, and even I knew that." Monty pointed out.

"That time in fourth year when he tried to ask you to the Yule Ball, chickened out and then ran off, only to slip on some ice running back into the castle?" Joey pointed out.

"He ended up going with Ginny," she said with a shrug. 

"Only because he was too scared to ask you and she couldn't go to the Ball otherwise." Joey insisted. "There was also that time third year, when everyone thought Sirius was dangerous, and we all had to sleep in the Great Hall because the Fat Lady saw him in the castle. He slept on your side, facing the door so he could protect you in case Sirius did break into the Great Hall and try to kill everyone."

"I mean, he was always there at the end of fifth year, when my parents died." Nicolette said. "That summer, he always made sure to write to ask how I was doing, and even if I told him to bugger off a few times, it was sweet."

"And even these days, he fights extra hard so he knows you'll be safe." Monty pointed out. "Face it, Nic, he's completely smitten."

"So I don't need a love potion?" she asked.

"No!" Monty and Joey whisper-yelled in sync, in order to avoid Madame Pince's wrath.

"Well, in that case..." she trailed off, shoving her books back into her bag. "see you later!"

Nicolette quickly jumped up, hoisting her bag over her shoulder and hurrying out of the library, leaving Monty and Joey smirking in her wake, shaking their heads and chuckling.

"She's unbelievable," Joey said.

"There you guys are," another voice came into the mix, and the pair looked over to see Rowan and Hannah Abbott standing at the end of the table, holding hands. "we've been looking all over for you. Are you working on Ancient Runes?"

"I sure am," Joey said, gesturing for the two to sit down. 

"So where'd Nicolette run off to?" Hannah asked. 

"She's off to go declare her love for Neville Longbottom." Monty said.

"It's about damn time," Rowan said. "anyways. Which rune are you discussing in your essay?"

"The Demiguise Rune," Joey said. "I've got the Syllabary to translate it, Scamander's book to discuss the creature itself and why it's used for the rune, and then I just need to discuss the history of the rune, and stuff like that. Which are you guys doing?"

"The Salamander," Monty said.

"Hydra," Hannah replied.

"The Unicorn Rune," Rowan said, a proud smile on his face.

"Okay, I think it's time for a study break." Rowan said, setting down his quill, causing Joey to look up from the history book she'd been leafing through. "Because I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry," Joey reminded him.

"You're not wrong." he retorted, lowering his voice. "But I'm in the mood for some pie. Who's up for a trip down to the kitchens?"

"If we're caught, we're dead." Monty said.

"Let's do it," Joey said, shoving her things into her bag. "I could go for some pie."

"That's the spirit!" Rowan whisper yelled, leading the group out of the library and down towards the Hufflepuff common room. "Besides, the Carrows don't come down here that often. They think Hufflepuffs don't do much."

The group finally reached the painting of the fruit, Rowan reaching up to tickle the pear. The green fruit let out a soft giggle before the passage slid open to reveal the kitchens behind them, where the House Elves were hard at work preparing food for the next day.

"Master Tonks!" the first House Elf exclaimed. "How wonderful to see you!"

"Hello, Daisy," he said with a smile.

"How do they all know you by name?" Hannah asked.

"I come here a lot." he explained, a sheepish grin on his face. "Do you guys have any pie?" 

"Over here." another House Elf said, gesturing to where a small table stood with four chairs in front of it. "You can sit with your friends and enjoy!"

"Thank you," the kids chorused, taking a seat as the House Elves set two blueberry pies in front of them.

"So this is where you used to run to when we couldn't find you all these years." Joey concluded. "And how you and the guys were easily able to sneak down and grab us dinner on those occasions this year."

Rowan nodded. "My sister told me about this place. It's close to our common room, so I guess she used to come here on occasion. They called me Dora's little brother, and cared for me my first couple years, before I was able to land on my own two feet and make my way around. Always made sure I was well fed. They're great company."

"It's incredible," Joey said, looking around in awe. 

While the room was a little small, and a bit hot due to the temperatures from the ovens, the House Elves didn't seem to mind one bit. Instead they hurried around the room, cheering when the food was done, talking to one another, and always making sure their guests were comfortable and satisfied. 

This entire war was going on outside these walls, and the Elves were so mistreated, but inside there, they were happy as could be.