Chapter two

Brownies from Keke’s were amazing.  They’re all, melt in your mouth and moist and sugary.  I could probably eat four in a day, even more if I was on one of my chocolate kicks.  I’d just popped the last crumbs into my mouth as I stepped into the hallway of the house I shared with my mum, dad and older sister, Leanne.  I kicked off my boots before padding across the carpet and into the kitchen where I almost bumped straight into Mum.

    “So that’s why you’re home late,” she said, eyeing the brownie wrapper that I had in my hand.

I shrugged.  “Cassie made me go with her to get her belly pierced and I was hungry on the way home so we stopped off at Keke’s.”

At the sound of Cassie’s name, Mum’s eyebrows raised and I had to stop myself from smiling; she knew better than to get involved where Cassie was concerned.  Besides, Cassie would tell her mum eventually.  Be it by accident.

    “And what did you get me from Keke’s, sis?”

Mum had gone back to cooking tea and I turned around to face Leanne.

    “An empty wrapper,” I said with a smile, offering her the green plastic wrapper in my hand.

    “Well that’s an anti-climax,” Leanne said.  “I’m starving.”

    “Tea will be in half an hour,” Mum said from behind me.  “I hope you eat yours, Harriet.”

I rolled my eyes and shoved the wrapper into my jeans pocket.  “I will.”

    “Do you wanna see the top I bought to wear to the gig tomorrow?” Leanne asked, following me up the stairs and on to the landing.

    “Sure.  Let me dump my bag in my room and then I’ll be in.”

   Leanne was waiting for me by her wardrobe when I entered her room a couple of minutes later.  Cassie had text me to say that she was tempted to take the plaster off of her stomach already so I’d replied saying that she’d be a fool if she did.  My phone bleeped again from my room but I ignored it and took a seat on Leanne’s bed.

    “Show me then.”

Leanne rifled through the masses of clothes stored in her wardrobe before pulling out something dark purple.  She held it up in front of her so that I could get a better view.

    “It’s really nice,” I said, feeling a little jealous.  Leanne always seemed to have better clothes than me and this new top, complete with sequins, chains and glitter, didn’t help to ease my jealousy.  “You’ll look amazing in that.”

Leanne grinned.  “Thanks.  I was thinking of wearing it with a pair of black shorts and my tights with the holes in.  Or maybe my studded leggings.”

    “You’ll look amazing whatever.”

She tilted her head to the side and raised her eyebrows at me.  “What’s up with you?”

I sighed, realising my jealousy must have leaked into my voice.  “Nothing.”

    “It can’t be nothing.”

    “But it is,” I replied, getting up from her bed.  “I’ve got to go text Cassie back.”

    “What did that Barbie doll want?”

I rolled my eyes at Leanne.  “I wish you wouldn’t call her that.”

    “I can’t help it.  She looks like a Barbie wannabe so that’s what I’m gonna call her.”

    “Well, Cassie got her belly button pierced today.”

Leanne hung her new top back in her wardrobe before turning to face me.  “God help us.  Let me guess, she didn’t ask her mum first?”