Chapter twenty-four

This time everything happened in slow motion.  It seemed to take an age for Sonny to get from the doors to the table that Aiden and I occupied.  I gripped my bag in my lap and forced myself to take deep breaths. 

    His swagger was as cool as ever and, dressed all in black, he looked red hot.  Glimpses of his tattoo could be seen as he lifted his arm to push Frankie lightly, a smile on his face.  Were they joking about something Frankie had told Sonny about me?  Anticipation flowed through my body as they neared, and I pawed a hand over my hair, careful not to mess it up, but wanting to check that it was still the same as Cassie had left it.  All of the hairspray that Cassie had used seemed to have molded it into place, so I moved the hand that wasn’t clutching my bag, to my dress.  I glanced at the neckline, making sure my bra wasn’t on show above the stretch of silver fabric that I hoped complimented my shape.  I never usually wore anything that was low cut, but Cassie had said the dress looked so nice on, that I hadn’t really given it a second thought.  Now though, I was starting to worry that I would give him the wrong impression.

    There was no time to worry anymore, as their steps seemed to quicken and they arrived at our table just as the DJ started playing some music.  It wasn’t so loud that I couldn’t hear what Sonny was saying to me, but it was a nice background filler.

    “Hi,” I replied to his hello, watching as he and Frankie took the seats opposite Aiden and I.  Warren ran off to the bar and Roz headed for the toilets.

    “I’m glad you came,” he said, his coffee eyes lingering on my face as he spoke. 

I felt suddenly hot.  “Thanks.  I wouldn’t miss it.”  I sensed Aiden fidgeting next to me and when I turned back from glancing at him, I saw Sonny’s eyes on Cassie’s ring.

    “That’s nice,” he said, gesturing towards my hand with a nod of his head.  The motion wafted cigarette smoke my way and my nose twitched.

    “Uh, thanks,” I replied.  I heard Aiden snigger beside me and I turned back to him to see him laughing into his drink.  I kicked him under the table and he snorted.

I caught Sonny giving him a weird look before he said something to Frankie.  My ears tried to zone in on what was being said, but the music seemed to have gotten suddenly louder.  I twisted in my seat to see hoards of people flooding through the doors, heading towards the once deserted bar. 

    It wasn’t long before Leanne and Roz were back.  Leanne settled herself in the seat next to Sonny and they began laughing at something, but yet again I couldn’t hear what was being said.  I frowned to myself before swallowing the last of my drink.  Leanne raised an eyebrow at me but I shook my head.

    “We were just saying how funny it is to see the girls who come here,” Sonny said.  “I mean, some of their outfits are so try hard.”

I could feel a blush working its way up my neck and I turned to scan the room, hoping no-one at the table would notice my bright red face.  The club was dimly lit, but our table was under a tacky chandelier that seemed to be projecting fluorescent light right at my face.  When I finally looked back to the table, I spotted Sonny’s eyes on me again.  I offered him a quick smile before deciding to check my phone.  I’d promised to text Cassie when I arrived, but I’d forgotten up until now.

    I had to text quickly, however, because before I knew it, Aiden had nudged my arm and I looked up to see that Sonny was leading my sister and the rest of the band back towards the rehearsal room.  I grabbed for my bag and followed them, sticking close to Aiden so that I wasn’t lost in the crowds that were pouring through the doors.  It was almost impossible to get out.  I muttered hesitant thanks you’s and sorry’s as I pressed firm to Aiden, a group of guys squishing me between him and the wall as they barged past.  Aiden glanced behind himself before seeing my predicament.  I felt a hand brush my waist and I looked down to see that it was one of Aiden’s, thrust out towards me so that he could help me battle my way through the wall of people.  I grabbed on tight to him, forcing all thoughts from band practise out of my head.