Chapter 3

Natasha's POV

One Week later

As I am finishing up the last question on my Calculus quiz; me being the only one in class still taking it in class, the last and final bell of the school day rings. As it sounds loudly, every student shoots up from their desks and rushes out of the classroom with their things, not even waiting to be dismissed by our teacher shaking his head in disappointment.

A small hand full of students stay behind out of respect for Mr. Linderman, like myself, Justin, and another boy and two other girls, but that's it. I raise my hand up, watching the elderly man smile and slowly walk over to retrieve my finished quiz. He bows his head, and softly dismisses us all for the day. I turn around in my chair seeing Justin finishing up writing in his journal, and then put it away before making his way over to my desk.

"Ready, straggler?" He asks with a smile, as he squints his eyes in my direction. Ugh, his new pair of glasses are still not ready at the eye doctor. "Yes, just let me put my textbook inside." I nod while I zip up my backpack, and then stand up to place my bag around my shoulders.

"Oh wait, you're leaving your water bottle." He bends down and picks up my cute watermelon reusable water bottle. "Ooh, thank you, JuJu Moo Moo. I wouldn't want to leave my Christmas present you got me." I take it from him and pop the cap back, taking a long swig of my nearly melted icy water.

Closing the top back I hand it over to him, where he takes a swig as we begin to walk towards the door of the classroom. We say our goodbyes to Mr. Linderman and the other students still here, before we walk out of the classroom and down the many of halls towards the double door exit of the school.

As Justin and I engage in conversation while we walk down the hallways passing lockers and other peers of ours, we see Johnny and his stupid football friends talking as they lean up against random lockers. I do not say anything to him, I simply ignore him like I have been doing. He calls my name many of times, even tries to grab my wrist, but I shove him away and remind him what he did to my best friend. Justin looks scared as ever, but I grab ahold of his arm and reassure– like I have been doing these couples days– that Johnny wouldn't hurt him again.

"Damn it I'm sorry, Natasha. He provoked me; he said some witty shit. I had to beat his ass for being disrespectful to me." Johnny continues to apologize, but I shake my head and pull Justin and myself along. Although, I stop suddenly and turn around seeing him already looking at me. "It is disrespectful to bully and beat up someone for NOTHING!" I yell, pointing my finger in his direction, before I practically rip Justin's hand off by my harsh tug on him.

I do not say anything more as I walk fast, and in a hurry as I shove the exit doors of the school open. Then just like that I begin to cry, my tough girl act breaking as I think of Johnny beating Justin up, while his idiotic friends just stands there and watch him do something so terrible like that. I feel Justin's hands drop from mine, and then in an instant brings me into one of his warm hugs.

"Please do not cry, you know I dislike when you express your sadness in this way." He rubs my back soothingly, trying to make me feel better. "I just– he's so freaking stupid! He promised me he wouldn't hurt you again, and he did." I mumble in his chest, locking my hands together behind his back.

Justin doesn't respond in return to my comment, but I do feel him nod his head at what I said. I know he's still feeling some type of way about the event that occurred over a week and four days ago. In that same amount of time, I have been broken up with Johnny. Of course I am hurting and missing him, but I will not allow him to beat on my best friend. He promised he wouldn't do it again, and he's been beating him up behind my back the whole entire time. Justin already has other people picking on him. Heck, even some teachers and faculty members make fun of him. It's not his fault he's the way he is; which is amazingly different!