how to not embarrass yourself

4:43pm

Me: "I think I need them one size smaller." I say, looking up at Hobi that already stood in front of me, proudly presenting his dark blue ice skates. He leans down to pick up mine.

JHope: "Don't worry, I'll get them for you. Be right back, don't run away." I watch him dancing off towards the counter before he turns around with a bright sunny smile, somehow checking if I'm still there. I giggle as I look down, searching for the brown paper bag under my bench, to make sure I did not leave it in the car.

Luckily, they provided different kinds of ice skating shoes here; for beginners and for pros that use the rink for practicing purposes. When I was younger I used to go roller skating in the street a lot. Ice skating, however, was only something I did once or twice a winter, but every time I went doing so, I had surely had a lot of fun. The only problem is, it takes me quite some time, energy and many falls to get used to the slippery surface, but once I got comfortable with it, I quickly get confident with speeding up a little.

Even so, I'm glad he's here with me. I hope, I won't do something stupid.

JHope: "Hey, are you alright?" I shake my head to get rid of unnecessary thoughts, to find Hobi giving me a concerned look as he squats down to my eye height. "Have you done this before?" He kindly asks, tilting his head. "Don't worry! If you lose balance, I will be there to catch you."

His words and smile calmed me down, though I was not even nervous about hitting the ice. But if I'd been at stress level zero, I might now be at level -25.

JHope: "Ah-, here, I picked the most colourful ones for you!" He handed me a pair of beautiful bright red ice skates. The ones before were white, like those one often sees in movies or that professionals wear for their competition performances.

JHope: "Like that I can always find you if you decide to wander off. And-," He pulls some dark red wild-leather gloves out of his right pocket, "what a coincidence they were so kind to provide matching shoes to these here, hehe." Though sounding so confident, I think he blushed a little while looking away as I carefully take them.

It took me a few seconds to realize he decided for leather gloves as well.

Me: "No shit!" I exclaimed as I jump up, quickly covering my mouth in embarassment. He tilts his head in confusion before I start explaining my reaction. That came out the wrong way.

Me: "I-, I mean honestly, wow. They are stunningly beautiful, Hoseok." I slowly put on the left one, holding it out into the light as I admire them. "Thank you." I give him a warm smile, as my cheeks turn pink while pulling the right one over my other hand. "You're officially forgiven for stealing my show."

JHope: "By now, I'm almost glad I did." He winks at me. "I'm happy you like them."

I chuckle.

Me: "You know, you should not be happy about stealing something?" I tease him as I take out my present for him.

JHope: "Call me a bad boy, but I am happy about it." I notice him glancing at the bag. "Oh- I see you bought something for me as well?" He plays with his voice. "I'm so honoured, you did not have to-"

I punch his shoulder, laughing about his sarcasm.

Me: "Cut that and open it up! I'm curious about your reaction!" Now I know what he must have felt while handing me mine. I excitedly watch his eyes widen in surprise as he stares down at his present. But somehow he seems a bit upset. I wait a few seconds before I decide to ask him about his silence.