Long Live The King

When Uther passed away a few months later, after Arthur, Morgana, and Merlin met in the woods, Arthur was very depressed. He loved his father, he truly did, even if he could be a cold hearted bastard. He was still family.

Merlin found him in his room the morning before his coordination sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. He walked over and gently put an arm around him, saying nothing.

Arthur leaned into Merlin and murmured, "Thank you." He was grateful that the servant hadn't tried to cheer him up, it was probably out of experience that he realized that nothing was going to make him feel better at this moment other than someone there if he needed them.

And that was just what Merlin was. He let Arthur cry into his side, gently stroking the blond hair but at no time did he tell Arthur that it would be alright. That it would get better. He just sat there and let his soon to be king get all his churning emotions out.

Eventually Arthur fell asleep and Merlin gently moved the blond so he was laying on the bed with his head on the pillows before sitting down next to Arthur's head and leaning his back against the headboard. He'd let the prat sleep for as long as he could before preparing him for the coronation.

When Arthur woke up a few hours later he found himself with his left arm against Merlin's thigh and Merlin's hand on his head. He looked up at Merlin to find the warlock staring off at the fire. "Merlin?" His voice was dry, he was parched.

The servants eyes flicked to Arthur after a moment and he frowned, "Did you sleep well?" He gestured for the blond to sit up and handed him a goblet of water, Arthur had no idea where he'd gotten it from.

Arthur nodded, "I guess I wore myself out." Merlin smiled slightly. "I guess so. The coordination is in two hours."

Arthur sighed, "This going to be a long day."

Merlin's hand was resting on his back, "You've already slept most of it away." He said in slight amusement.

Arthur flopped back down on the bed. "Have you been here the whole time?" He asked.

Merlin nodded, smiling warmly. "Haven't moved since you fell asleep."

Arthur closed his eyes and shook his head, "What did I do to deserve a friend like you?" He asked quietly.

He felt Merlin shiver and opened his eyes in concern, "Are you alright?"

Merlin smiled a little and nodded, but he clearly wasn't saying something. "Come o Melrin, spit it out."

"That was the first time you ever called me your friend, Arthur."

Arthur blinked and opened his mouth to argue before realizing that he may have thought it many times but had never said it out loud to Merlin before. He closed his mouth in shock before responding, "Well I guess that was a bit over due."

Merlin propped his feet up on the bed, "Well sire, you do always take me for granted." He joked.

"Did anyone come looking for me?"

"Just Lance, and he didn't even get to open the door."

"What?" Arthur asked, puzzled.

"I felt him coming and I told him that you were asleep."

"With magic?"

"No, with a cup and string. Yes magic!" He rolled his eyes at the look Arthur gave him. "You also got a letter from Morgana." He held it up.

"Open it up and read it would you?" Arthur said and unconsciously scooted closer to Merlin's warmth.

"Actually it's addressed to both of us." Merlin said in surprise.

Magic RevealedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara