Opposites Attract

Zelie walked through the dark, long hallways of the institute her full white dress engulfing her legs that were fully on display last night. In front of her walked Tessa and Jem talking about their next tour of England, and behind Zelie was Will strolling behind her whistling an awful tune, mentally cursing himself everytime he stared at Zelie or Tessa. Tessa had been more distant from him, as he expected, and Zelie had acted completely normal grinning, joking, skipping around, laughing loudly, and giving Will insulting and yet slightly hilarious comebacks every time he insulted her. That was one thing Will hadn't expected. After Tessa's and his first kiss she had expected more from him, courtship and promises, but Zelie acted as if last night never happened.

"By the angel, I'm going to have to borrow some of Charoltte's oil if he keeps whistling that awful excuse for a song." Zelie whispered to herself and Jem grinned already knowing an ever so amusing arguement was about to take place.

"I have hearing runes rember, Genius. Technically it's a tune." Will glared his blue eyes burning holes through Zelie's chocolate brown locks.

She spun around to glare back and him. "Last time I checked Jem was the musician."

"It doesn't take a musician to tell you that."

"We're here." Tessa said softly as she pushed the large doors of the library open.

Both the azure eyed teenagers glared at each other and then at the brunette. "I know." They said at the same time before they both looked at each other in disgust and strutted in. It had always been like that, since the start of time it felt like, Zelie Archfeild and William Herondale always fighting, always on the same page, oddly inseparable.

Zelie walked into the maze of books and disappeared in search of any files or articles written about Mortmain. Tessa soon followed behind her to help her search. "Do you find it odd?" Tessa asked quietly, unsure of how to act with the peculiar girl in front of her.

She was the definition of improper and Tessa felt slightly annoyed at how no one seemed to mind. All her life she had strived to be a respectable lady admired by society, and then there was Zelie Archfeild, loud, competitive, rude, uncontrollable, yet had everyone in a trance with just one of her perfect smiles. Was that how men felt of Will? Tessa wondered. Did Jem ever feel like all the attention Will got was unfair? That was silly Jem didn't want praises and attention he was fine with those who truly loved him.

"Yes, I find this whole Mortmain situation very peculiar indeed." Zelie answered half heartedly as she searched through the files, picking all the ones she thought could be related. "Like when one miraculously loses a quil."

"No, I don't mean the automons. I was talking about you and Will." Tessa waited for Zelie to blush, but that never came. Instead the bright eyed girl laughed.

She looked over to see Tessa expecting to see her laughing too only to be met with Tessa's ever so serious grey eyes. "Wait you're serious?" Zelie's cheerful expression contoured into one of horror. It was perhaps the most scared anyone had seen the feirce Zelie Archfeild. "By the angel, you are. Do you have a fever?" Zelie touched Tessa's forehead to check her temperature and the only thing she found out was Tessa had a bad case of acne under the thin layer of powder she wore.

"It's just you two are always together, and I just thought that perhaps you found it weird too." Tessa elaborated, starting to get annoyed with the pretty girl who couldn't seem able to give a simple answer.

"Tessa, have you herd the saying opposites attract?" The grey eyed shapsifter only nodded, and couldn't help but wonder if the two beautiful shadowhunters fancied each other. "You see Will and I couldn't be more similar or more differnt if we wanted to. We always end up at the same place and the same time even though we'd rather not see each other at all. It's like we were made to be rivals." Zelie finished then walked away with the pile of articles she had found.

Zelie walked back to the table where Jem and Will were reading their articles intently. She sat down and began her own search for information.

¤¤¤¤
"Guys, I think I found something." Zelie piped up from the article she was reading.

All heads that were surrounding the dinner table snapped up to face her at the sound of her sultry voice, with the exception of Jessamine who had fallen asleep. "Just like the last three times you thought you found something?" Will asked while staring at her with annoyed blue eyes. Yet, he was tentatively listening.

"Actually, I found his childhood home in Yorkshire." Zelie stated matter of factly her usual undertone of arrogance being more audible as she shot Will a cocky smirk when Jem praised her.

"That's fantastic!" Charoltte, Henry, and Tessa shot him a confused look. "If we know what exactly happened to him then we'll know why he has such a hatred towards shadowhunters." Jem explained excitedly clinging on to the hope of Charoltte keeping their home.

"Once we understand his reasoning we'll be able to figure his next move and be one step ahead of him." Will finished Jem's thought and understanding dawned upon the rest of the members in the table as Jem simply grinned back at his parabati.

"Told you." Zelie sing sang while grinning at Will, she somehow made grinning seem menacing when she directed it towards Will.

"Oh, Zelie you're brilliant! It's just Aloysius Starkweather, the head of the Yorkshire institute holds a terrible grunge against my family." Charoltte worried as she started pacing across the room.

"Oh send him a letter, Char. I'm sure he doesn't even remeber whatever it is your family did to his." Zelie urged.

"And he certainly can't blame you for it." Jem encouraged.

The motherly figure of the young shadowhunters straightened up and smiled at her 'kids'. "I suppose it's worth a shot."