Play Pretend

The rest of the train ride was as smooth as traveling with Zelie and Will could be. There was only the occasional yelling match and hair pulling. It was right when Zelie was about to swing at Will that the train rushed into the small train station of Yorkshire. It was calm and peaceful, compared to London it looked like a ghost town. Zelie's eyes widened and she pushed Will away before pressing her hands and the tip of her nose against the window to look at the scenery. "Looks boring." Will commented arrogantly with his head held high. This time however Zelie didn't respond as her mind wondered else where.

"Who shall we look for?" Tessa asked standing up as Jem helped her with her coat.

"A doubt Starkweather himself came to greet us." Jem agreed as he offered to also help Zelie but she waved him off.

"I'm thinking an Archer looking lad, that man sucks as much life out of people as vampires." Zelie joked while hoping up and shouldering her cream coloured coat with gold embroidery. Peices of her curly chocolate hair framed her face and her powder free face was glowing with excitement to get off the train.

"Yes, I suppose he should look like my mate Archer shouldn't he?" Will stated as they began to move out of the carriage. Jem hooked a tentive arm around Tessa's in their engaged facade and turned to look at Will and Zelie expectantly, a small teasing smile on his lips.

Will and Zelie looked at each other in disgust, knowing that Jem wanted Will to escort Zelie out of the train. "Have you caught demon pox?" They both asked before scoffing and grabbing their lugage drgging it behind them without a second glance. Each one trying to walk faster than the other which only resulted on them walking at the same speed.

Zelie stepped closer to Will while studing Aloysius Strakweather. His attitude had improved dramatically when his eyes landed on Tessa. Will looked down at Zelie as if asking if she had noticed as well, to which Zelie gave a slight nod. Her lips were pouted and her bouncy curly brown locks rested on her temples softly as her inhuman turquoise eyes concentrated on the old man infront of her, trying to figure out what his intentions were. There was just something about him that threw her off and Zelie's gut was usually never wrong. "And who might you be?" Starkweather asked finally shifting his gaze from Tessa to Zelie and Will with curiosity. Zelie was about to let out one of her sarcastic answers before Will nuged her, reminding her that they need all her charm at the moment. She smiled happily showing her perfect white teeth and dimples and fixing her posture before giving a slight curtsy. "Zelie Archfeild, Mr. Strakweather."

"And I suppose the reason you're here is because Mr. Herondale is courting you?" He asked snobbishly.

Zelie gritted her teeth, oh to hell with charm. She had worked her butt off to be the greatest, how dare he think Zele was only here because of a man.  She sent him her fiercest glare and opened her mouth to speak. "I'm here because-" Zelie started to sneer getting ready to tell Starkweather off but Will interrupted her by wrapping in arm around her waist.

"Yes, but Zelie is also one  greatest shadowhunters of our gernation." Will cut her off cringing as the words exited his mouth. Zelie's eyes widened in shock from both the physical contact and digust. Never in her life would she marry William Whorendale. Zelie drew her arm back ready to elbow Will in the ribs and tell him off before he spoke. "She's known to be the most focused shadowhunter and always carries out the mission."

Zelie sighed and plastered a fake smile on her face. Will was right the mission was more important than her pride, but pride for Zelie was the most precious thing. She wrapped her arm around Will's in mock affection towards him but in reality held it so tight she was cutting of circulation. "Of course, the mission is always the most important thing. Isn't that right, honey?" Zelie responded putting all the venom she had in the last word. She looked over to Jem and Tessa who had polar opposite expressions on their faces. Jem looked like he just received the gift of a life time and could now die a happy man.  Perhaps that wasn't the wisest choice of words condiering Jem's condition, but he was very clearly holding in a cackle, his silver eyes were crinkling at the edges because of how wide he was smiling. Miss. Theresa Gray on the other hand had visibly paled and was scowling at the physical contact shared between Will and Zelie. Of course, that's why Tessa had come. Zelie smiled smugly at herself, proud that she had figured it out, but then a wave of disappointment and defensiveness came over her, it was inexplicable to say the least. She subconsciously leaned closer into Will's warm hard body. She could feel Will's very noticeable and defined muscles even through his white long sleeved shirt and dark coat, and as much as it pained Zelie to admit it, it felt good. As good and as haunting as the kiss they had shared. As intoxicating and mind consuming as when Will whispered in her ear on the train ride.  She shook those thoughts off when they passed by a portrait of a young girl that smeed to be the only bright thing in the Yorkshire institute. Her eyes were a deep shade of grey but sickly, some features of the girl were identical to Tessa's. Zelie nudged Will nodding her head towards the painting. "Mr. Starkweather, who is that?" Zelie asked softly hypnotized by the similarity between the girl and Tessa. Of course in Zelie's opinion the girl was prettier though anyone with shadowhunter blood was prettier than any mundane by nature.

"That's my late granddaughter." Starkweather replied bitterly.

Tessa gasped slightly and Jem placed a comforting hand on her forearm. Will frowned at the scary similarities between the two girls and Zelie nodded softly. "I'm so sorry, sir."