Chapter 11: Runs In The Family

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!! Just turned nineteen and it's just another day lmao 😂😂😂😂 Closer to drinking I guess, though I don't do that *ahem* 😉. It's thundering outside, so definitely a great start.

Point out my errors. Vote, share, comment, and ENJOY!!!

—————————————————————

"What the hell?" I mumbled under my breath and turned to face Lina for an explanation, but she was busy grinning from ear to ear, looking right at the woman standing at the door.

          Ashton leaned down and whispered in my ear, "Ghost?"

          I nudged his side and watched Lina slowly step forward. "You're here!" she squealed in excitement.

          "I am," the woman retorted. "You shouldn't be in here though. You know how your nonna gets."

          As she spoke more, I could make out the Italian undertone in her American accent. It was very subtle, hard to notice, but with certain words, it was quite prominent. I would've imagined Leona to have more of a British accent like Arabelle, but seeing her standing there, that too very much alive, talking and walking, proved me wrong, and everyone in this family to be liars.

          Leona smiled as Lina laughed to herself. "You wouldn't tell her now, would you?"

          "And throw my favorite baby under the bus? Never!" Leona giggled and opened her arms wide. "Can I get a hug or are you too cool for those?"

          Lina jogged in the women's direction with a laugh and immediately embraced her tightly, holding on for dear life. "I've missed you so much."

          "I've missed you too, baby," Leona whispered back and pulled away. "Look at you. You get more and more gorgeous every time I see you."

"And you get more and more sexy every time I see you," Lina chuckled, combing a finger through the woman's hair. "I'm digging the blonde look. You're definitely pulling it off."

"It was Summer's idea," Leona muttered, looking at her short strands and twirling them around her finger. "I was a bit skeptical, but wanted to do something different for Wren's wedding, and this turned out well." She smiled and glanced in my direction. "Unless you two want to get in trouble, I suggest you come out too."

Ashton and I scurried out of the room instantly, allowing Lina to close it behind us. "Sorry," I apologized and cleared my throat.

Being so close to Leona, I noticed every little feature of hers. Her bright blue eyes definitely matched Leo's. Her sharp, thin nose and perfectly manicured brows were one to be admired. The smile on her lips was another thing that Leo inherited. Wide and warm. Compared to the old photo that I saw of the young brunette Leona inside the room, the one standing in front of me was a mature blonde version of that girl, but she looked as great and vibrant as ever. And very much alive.

          "Cristo! Stop staring at her like that, Arie," Lina laughed and jerked me out of my daze. I narrowed my eyes a bit in confusion, but stayed silent and let her continue. "This is my zietta."

          "Zietta?" I wondered what the hell was going on and continued to stare at the woman like an infatuated idiot.

          "Zietta means aunty," the woman informed and stepped forward with a hand out for me to shake and I didn't waste a second to comply. "I'm Aria Marino, not Leona, if that's what has you so pale."