C. 27

Y/N hesitates at first, but eventually listens to him once seeing his point and decides to leave him alone as BEN said. If BEN thought so, she guesses it's best to trust someone who has known him longer than herself. Even if she disagrees with his way of handling these situations.

Even if all she wanted to do was comfort him just as he had for her the two times she wasn't in control of herself. She really did feel helpless.

***

"You don't seem too familiar with all his issues. How long have you known him anyway?"BEN asks her curiously.

She swallows a lump in her throat and quietly speaks, "I've known him for about five months now, but I have only met him in person about a week ago."

She pauses, BEN waiting for her to continue. It was weird to talk about her and Toby to somebody, though BEN is the second person she has talked to since she escaped the asylum.

With a short inhale of breath, she starts to speak again, "For five months we talked with writing through a small window, it was our only way to communicate and it was more than enough for me to just speak to someone, if not directly. It made me happy.

"We could only talk like this because, well, I was in an Insane asylum for over three years. Just a week ago he busted me out and now we're here."

As she finishes talking, a louder noise echoes a from Toby's room. The sound of shattering glass. She doesn't even look at BEN's expression from sharing her story, she was too busy worrying.

Y/N immediately stands up in a hurry and makes her way down the hallway. She ignored BEN who kept saying not to interfere even though it was quite obvious Toby needed help to cope with his feelings.

BEN doesn't follow her, maybe he realized where her thoughts were about the situation. There was nothing he could say now to convince her differently.

If he hurt her while she was trying to comfort him, she wouldn't care. He needed her there, she was certain of that.

Not bothering to knock, she slowly opens the door. The room was dark, the only light was a thin line of moonlight from the window. This light was enough for her to see the state Toby was in. She closes the door behind her once stepping in.

He was collapsed in the corner of his room. He's curled into himself, knees pulled up to his chest, arms wrapped around his legs, his head buried in his arms. Y/N feels herself become overwhelmed with emotions and her heart stops for a second at the sight of his broken state. He looked so torn.

She is positive he knows she is there, yet he doesn't seem to react. She takes that as a good sign to approach him.

She falls to her knees in front of him. She doesn't know how he will react to her touching him and isn't sure if he will snap at her like the time in the car. But even with those thoughts, she pushes them back knowing despite her unease and fear she had to try.

With gentle movements, Y/N takes hold of his shoulders with her hands, close to his neck.

He lifts his head. His expression makes it hard for her to breathe. He is a picture of pain, his eyes are troubled and rimmed with red. He has lost his ability to hide his true emotions and he looks ready to break down in tears.

It hurts to see him like this. She dares to wrap her arms around him tightly. Only then does she feel him start to shake mixed with his constant twitching, she's not sure if he is crying now or not.

Toby melts in her arms, his breathing is unsteady and he grasps as her just as tightly, his face in her neck.

She finds it strange that just this morning that he was the one comforting her. Now she finds herself returning the favor, though she would have helped him anyway if it didn't occur. She would undoubtedly do anything for him, even if it caused her pain and suffering in the end.

He was her whole world, the person who made her feel alive.

Holding him a little closer, Y/N decides she will stay there holding him until he stops shaking and until he pulls himself together. As long as it takes, she would be there with him, hugging his form as close as she could.

Until his suffering would stop, she would always be there. Even in the worst of situations, like this.

Y/N isn't sure how much time has gone by, but she knows that Toby is starting to slowly calm down. Her fingers are brushing and tracing over his back in small circles, she feels him thawing against her at the feeling.

She starts to speak in a small, gentle voice. "Toby--"

"Why do you care about me? I'm just a disgusting murderer. You should be scared of me, not feeling sympathy for me."He speaks, after each word his voice becomes harsher and she isn't sure if he is going to lose control of himself.

She waits too long to reply, Toby pushes her off him and is already standing up beside her. He looks angry. She doesn't know if he is angry at her or himself. It didn't matter though, she needed to calm him down.

Y/N quickly stands up and faces him, her throat is suddenly dry and she tries to speak and to find the right words to use but can't.

"Why?"He sounds more broken now, "Why...do you care? I don't understand how you could care for a person like me."

She tries and tries but can't. Not yet.

"You always seem so interested and...and worried. I'm not used to this. I can't get used to this, sunshine. I just...can't."

She doesn't know how to tell him. She doesn't know if it's the right time or place but she tells herself it's now or never. She knows she can't keep it to herself anymore.

"So...so...why?"

She finds the mix of words jumbled in her mind and speaks the words she has kept to herself for so long.

Since she realized she loved him.

Thank you for the fanart! It looks amazing! (Comment to receive credit)