32.

"Shouldn't you be at school right now?" Holden asked me. I'd gotten into quite the habit of sitting on his sofa and getting high over the past couple of days. 

"Yup." I slurred. He sighed and put his arm around me, letting me curl up into him. 

"When was the last time you slept?" He questioned me again. 

"What is this, an interrogation?" I countered. Looking back up at him, he gave me a stern glare which told me to answer the fucking question. I sighed in response. "I don't know, I can't sleep." 

"Try and get some sleep now." He ordered, moving to let me lie down. He placed a pillow under my head and covered me with a blanket. I closed my eyes and waited for sleep to take over. It took a while, I'm not sure how long because I didn't want to open my eyes; they were too heavy. 

I woke up a few hours later, to Holden softly shaking me out of my slumber. I hazily sat up and wrapped the blanket around me for comfort. 

"What time is it?" I asked. 

"About 7 at night." He said. I nearly jumped out of my skin, I have been asleep for hours. I'm not sure whether I felt better though. Holden handed me a glass of water, I drank it quickly but instead of hydrating me it just made me realise I was sobering up. 

"I should get going. I think I need something stronger." I mumbled, I also noticed that he had some friends over. Holden nodded and helped me up and gather my stuff. I left the apartment and started lazily walking down the hallway, but a guy shouting at me stopped me in my tracks.

He emerged from Holden's apartment and jogged towards me to catch me up. 

"I heard you." He whispered. I looked at him confused. "You need something stronger?" 

I nodded in response and he handed me a little plastic bag with two pills in it. I saw they had fairies on them and I knew exactly what they were. 

"What's the charge?" I asked, knowing I had very little money to my name at present. 

"No charge." He muttered. "I heard what happened, the first couple are always free." And with that he was gone. I took the little plastic bag and put it in my pocket. In New Orleans, night life had only begun so I got a bus to one of the clubs where Holden and Lucas took me and got in with my fake ID.

I was feeling pretty buzzed when I stumbled into the bathroom, I stood in the cubicle and stared at the little white pills. Wondering whether I should flush them or not. 

After pondering for a few minutes, I opened the bag and popped one in my mouth, letting the chemicals take me away for the rest of the night. 

I partied all night, danced all my troubles away and drank myself numb. I decided to walk home when the club shut. I tried not to stumble too much; I don't want to attract any attention to myself. Besides over the past couple of weeks I have gotten extremely good and pretending to be sober, the pill made this just more of a challenge. 

When I made the decision to walk, I hadn't realised just how long the walk was. But I got to watch the sun come up which was nice. The colours all swirled together, like one of those pain pours I had seen on Instagram. I wasn't sure if the colours were actually like that or if it was the drugs but I didn't care. They seemed to be wearing off now. After a few hours I finally arrived home. 

I unlocked the door and tried to get in as quietly as possible and I would have succeeded, if my family weren't all waiting for me. They looked scared out of their minds, I was struck by guilt at the look on their faces, I would have texted them but my phone died, hours ago and I knew they would be asleep by the time I found a pay phone. 

"Sorry." I muttered, walking past them and into the kitchen for a glass of water. 

"Where the hell have you been?" They all seemed to ask at once, their voices resonating throughout my body. 

"I was out, sorry my phone died." I responded. 

"We get that you're going through something but we want you to be safe." I wanted to scream at them but honestly, I was too exhausted. Why aren't they yelling at me, cussing me out, punishing me for staying out late? 

"Are you going to punish me or what?" I asked, tiredly. 

"No." My dad said, all too calmly. 

"Why the fuck not?" I asked, Mike just stared at me the same way they did- looking at the broken shell of his little sister that stood before him. I shrugged it off and looked at my parents for a response. 

"I think you're punishing yourself already." My mom answered. I scoffed at their response and shifted in my place. They all looked at me with pity and empathy, like I was a puppy that had been left at their doorstep, abandoned. 

"I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me." I responded, going to walk away but my brother stopped me. 

"That's our job." He said, I didn't make eye contact with him, instead I just waited patiently for him to let me go. When he did I silently made my way up to my room and into my shower.

A/N

Sorry it's so short.

Also, don't do drugs kids and if you're going to drink, make sure you do it responsibly and legally. 

Thanks.

~Jadey6688