37.

I pulled on a pair of black jeans and a plain white t-shirt, doing my makeup a little a putting on some jewellery; today I am going back into work. I don't know who will be there because I usually don't work on a Tuesday but I don't care. I need to go in and grovel to my boss, beg her for more hours so I can make up all the money I have lost from the suspension.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and placed my phone in my pocket. I walked down the stairs and kissed my mother goodbye, then climbed into the car. I drove to work listening to some calm music on the radio- trying to relax.

It felt alien when I arrived; I had gone from spending so much time there to no time at all and it was weird. I felt like a different person. I saw Josh standing at the till so I walked up to him and touched his shoulder to get his attention.

"Hi." I said, he turned around and embraced me in a hug. "What are you doing here?"

"My suspension is finished." I answered. "I'm asking if I can make up my hours."

"It hasn't been the same without you." I smiled and thanked him. I then made my way over towards my boss's office, gathering up the courage and knocking the door when I got there. I waited for a few seconds before hearing the slight 'come in' before opening the door.

"Oh, hello Riley." She said, looking up from her computer.

"Hi." I began.

"My suspension finished yesterday." I said.

"I know, I have been meaning to call you."

"Oh really?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Yes, I'm afraid I have some bad news." She said, my stomach dropped.

"Bad news?" I questioned.

"We have decided to terminate your contract." I sat there in silence, unable to respond; I was being fired. "There have been a few budget cuts and your latest infractions made you more liable. I am sorry."

"Right." I whispered.

"If you have left anything here I need you to take it with you." She said. I nodded and stood up from where I was sitting in her office.

"I am really sorry." I opened the door and left. Walked through the shop and out the front door, for the last time as their employee.

I don't know how I made it home without crashing, my mind was rushing and I wasn't focussed on anything. I walked back into the house and into the living room where my parents were working on a project.

"Hey, how was it?" They asked.

"They fired me." I mumbled.

"What?!" My mother raged, "They can't do that."

"Yes, they can." I countered.

"No, they can't, we can fix this."

"No, you can't!" I shouted back. "Budget cuts, they were looking for someone to fire and I gave them a reason."

They both just looked back at me.

"It's okay." I whispered. "I did this, I fucked up, I'll take the consequence."

"You can always find another job." My mom stated.

"In this economy?" I retorted, scoffing a little, they smiled a little at my cynical statement. "I hope you don't mind, but I need to be by myself for a little."

They nodded and let me go upstairs without saying another word, I shut my bedroom door and dropped my bag on the floor. I took off my shoes and discarded them at the side, then went for my secret stash under my bed. I pulled out a joint from the metal box and lit it, letting the toxins relax me. I was mindlessly watching Netflix when Mike opened the door.