Part 4

And now we come back to our top story in breaking news tonight. Declan Donnelly - one half of Britain's most-loved TV duo, Ant and Dec - has been hospitalised with potentially serious injuries following an accident on live television this evening. 

Viewers of the duo's popular Saturday Night Takeaway program were forced to watch on as the presenter was taken away by ambulance and taken to the Royal London Hospital, where it is believed that he is currently being treated for a serious neck injury. 

His on-screen partner, Ant McPartlin - was seen leaving the ITV studio building just minutes ago, and a source has told us that he is indeed headed for his friend's bedside; alongside co-worker Stephen Mulhern, and manager Alison Astall.

We'll bring you more on this story as it develops throughout the evening.

*****

Once they were in Joe's car, Ant turned his phone on - preparing to be inundated with notifications from Twitter and Facebook.

And - it turns out - text messages as well, if the twenty plus messages currently filtering into his inbox were anything to go by.

Tapping on the message icon, he went to the one from Ali first, and all it said was this:

Ali: I'm at the hospital. Call me when you get this.

Then, there was another one that came through from Lisa:

Lisa: Call me if you want to talk sweetheart, I'm here xx

Deciding to just get the call to Ali over with, Ant scrolled through his contacts until he found her name, pressing the green phone icon next to her number and holding the phone up to his ear apprehensively.

Two rings, then - "Hello Ant."

Gulping, Ant replied with an almost silent "Hey Al."

He could hear her shuddering breaths over the phone, and his heart clenched at the noise as it echoed in his ear.

"Have they told you anything?" he asked quietly, getting a concerned look from Stephen as worried blue eyes fell on his face.

Ali was silent for a few moments, then her next words sent shards of ice into Ant's heart.

"Oh Anth" she brokenly whispered, sounding near-tears, "They said he's.......he's broken his neck."

The hand came up to his mouth and the horrified gasp broke free before Ant could stop it, and Stephen immediately frowned deeper - the tiniest bit of panic flickering in his eyes now.

"B-broken his n-n-eck? he stuttered in return, ignoring Stephen's choked breath beside him as the younger man put his head in his hands and clenched his fingers through his hair.

Ali nodded, even though the boys couldn't see her. "They've only done an MRI and an X-ray at the moment, but Karen wants to go for a CT just to make sure" she replied, and Ant could picture her running a hand through her hair in an attempt to keep herself calm.

He had to admit that he felt the tiniest bit better when he found out that their good friend was in charge of Dec's care - they all trusted her completely now, and Ant knew that she would do all she could.

"Where are you now, Anth?" Ali's quiet voice cut through his thoughts, and Ant sighed heavily before replying.

"On my way to the hospital now. Stephen's with me" he answered, shooting their friend a grateful look, and getting a shaky smile in return.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Ali felt a little better at that.

"I'll wait here for you - Lisa's waiting for you to call her, by the way" she added, and Ant's lips quirked into a tiny smile.