Part 7

Ant hadn't being lying - there was an important meeting with the ITV execs to attend, and no doubt that was going to be annoying, tough, and a right old slog - but he definitely hadn't told Dec the whole truth about his activities.

Partly because he truly hadn't wanted to further guilt-burden his friend by telling him exactly what rumours were being spread around by the press about the accident, but also because he had a little surprise for his friend up his sleeve.

One which - much to his annoyed excitement - he couldn't reveal just yet.

So, he climbed into his car outside the hospital and drove down to the ITV building. As he drove, he thought back on the conversation with his friend.

He knew that Dec was getting frustrated with how slowly his recovery was progressing, and he also knew that his friend did not do boredom well - and, as Dec himself had said, one would get pretty bored staring at the ceiling for 24 hours a day.....every day.

He could also see that his friend was - there was no other word for it, really - depressed with the situation. The fact that he wasn't eating was evidence enough of that: normally, even when he was laid flat with an injury, he still had a ravenous appetite, and he was known to really put away some food.

Ant knew that at least half of that was related to the boredom factor, but the point still stood.

But this time, knowing that Dec hadn't touched any food since last Saturday evening (before the start of the show), Ant was rather worried about his friend.

He was obviously putting on a front for them, but Ant could see past that, and he could see how much the accident and its subsequent recovery had and were still affecting him. And if it was getting to the point where it was affecting his appetite, then it was past time for someone to step in.

Ant sighed as he pushed down on the accelerator at the set of lights he had been stopped at, turning left towards the studio building. 

Pulling up in the car park, he grabbed his jacket and phone as he switched off the engine. As he got out of the car, he heard his phone vibrate in his pocket, and he pulled it out curiously - vaguely reminding himself to turn it off before he went into the meeting.

"Hey Holly" he greeted, locking his car behind him as he started to walk.

"Hey, are we still on for after lunch?" Holly replied, sounding very excited and as bubbly as usual - Ant had to smile.

"Yeah, should be" he answered, just as he walked into the building, waving at the security guard on his way past. "Just have to go to this meeting, and then I'll be right down."

"Alright, we'll see you when you get down here" she confirmed, and they both rang off, Ant switching his phone off as he got into the lift.

When the lift stopped at the fourth floor - where the executives' offices were - Ant felt his apprehension start to creep up into his throat. As the door opened, he was surprised to see Chris, Paul, and Ali all waiting patiently for him.

"Morning" he greeted seriously, giving them all a nod in turn and getting tense smiles in response.

Coming to a halt next to Ali, Ant looked up at her curiously.

"I'm surprised they made you come along - surely they would have had a bit more respect than that?"

Ali shook her head tiredly, glancing at her watch as they waited to be called into the room.

"I wish" she muttered, rubbing a tired hand across her eyes, and Ant immediately felt sorry for her.

Nudging up against her side, he was rewarded with a tiny - but genuine - smile from the younger woman, and then the door behind them opened, and a tall figure in a suit stared down at them all.