Part 11

Day 15 continued, 25th May 2019.

Well, physio didn't go as well as I'd hoped this afternoon. Trent said I was trying to push myself too hard, and I don't mind admitting that I got really frustrated (read: upset) when it turned out that I wasn't as healed as I'd hoped......

It was around 2pm when Trent walked into the room with a smile on his face. Dec forced one of his own onto his face, keen for something to go right today.

"Okay, let's get you into the chair and then we'll head on down to the physio room" Trent announced, using Martin to help him assist his patient into the wheelchair, strapping him in and then the three of them headed towards the brand-new physio room.

Having not been out of his own room for two weeks to do the sessions, Dec glanced around the room, taking in every detail - and he had to admit that he was impressed with the high-tech equipment spread neatly around the space.

Bringing the chair to a halt, Trent walked over to a cupboard and pulled out what looked like an Iron Man robot suit. Martin eyed it curiously as the physiotherapist nodded slightly in approval at his selection before walking back over to them.

"I think we'll try you out with this first - it's called the Ekso GT" Trent explained, going on to describe exactly what the device would do and how it worked.

It all went over my head to be perfectly honest with you......

"Basically, it fits like a robot suit, and it uses battery-powered motors to move your legs, while allowing you to completely weight-bear and walk almost naturally" Trent described, pointing to the motors on the suit.

Once the suit had been explained, Trent and one of his assistants set about fitting and attaching the suit to Dec's lower body, before Charlie (the assistant) went over to an orderly line of spare walkers, bringing one back over and passing it to Dec.

That thing felt so weird at first: it was like being in a giant robot suit, and I have to say that having someone else controlling the movement of your legs is rather disconcerting.....

"Okay, when you're ready, I'd like you to try standing up and then take a few steps towards me" Trent instructed, walking a few paces in front as Charlie when in behind to provide some extra support.

Taking a deep breath (after shooting a wary glance at Martin, who just nodded encouragingly), Dec gripped onto the handles of the walker and used the momentum to pull himself into a standing position.

It took a few goes, but after a minute or so, I was finally standing on my own two feet! I couldn't believe it, I was so happy and relieved that I nearly started to weep again (thankfully though, I managed to hold myself together).

Once the initial excitement had settled, and after he'd taken a few breaths to calm down a little, Dec started to shift his weight over to his left side, and he felt the robot propel his right leg upward and forward - it was if he was walking normally (albeit much more stiffly than usual).

Now, with a grin starting to form on his face, he tried the technique with the other leg, and within moments, he was walking - for the first time in three weeks.

I know, it was with some pretty significant help, but I didn't really care at that point: all I cared was that I could walk, and that this meant I was getting better.

"I'm doing it!" he exclaimed in excitement, smile getting impossibly wider as Trent nodded encouragingly - a wide smile of his own on his face.

"Martin look; I'm actually doing it!"

Martin grinned through a blurry gaze at his ecstatic little brother, so proud and relieved that things seemed to be looking up for him at last.

"Yeah, you are kiddo" he whispered thickly, throat tight with emotion and eyes glistening with tears.