Chapter 7-Ferrets, Dragons, and Rumors

Draco sat on a tree branch and stretched his arms out. Today was all about making enemies with the Gryffindors. Otherwise, it would be first year again. Besides, with Voldemort getting "stronger" as everyone kept putting it, Draco would need to ensure the Death Eater clan that his loyalties lied with them.

Potter was storming past the tree. He seemed frustrated so Draco called out to him.

"Why so tense, Potter? My father and I have a bet, you see. I don't think you're gonna last ten minutes in this tournament. He disagrees. He thinks you won't last five."

He laughed and jumped down from the tree. His three roommates, Crabbe, and Goyle surrounded him.

"I don't give a damn what your father thinks," Potter spat. "He's vile and cruel, and you're pathetic."

He turned around and Draco pulled out his wand, but before he could do anything, he was suddenly half a meter tall...and furry.

"I'll teach you to curse someone when their back is turned!" Professor Moody came out of nowhere and using his wand, he lifted Draco into the air and swung him around.

"You stinkin', cowardly, scummy, backstabbing-"

"Professor Moody!" a voice called. It was Professor McGonagall. "What are you doing?"

"Teaching."

"Is that a student?"

"Technically, it's a ferret."

With one swift hand motion, McGonagall turned Draco back into a human. Glaring at Moody, Draco fixed his hair with his wand and struck at the professor with a disarming spell. Being an ex-Auror, Moody deflected it.

By this time, many students had gathered around to watch a fourth year take on an ex-Auror and not lose. Hermione was there, too. She stared in awe as Draco carefully maneuvered around in a circle and shot curse after curse at his professor.

"Enough!" Professor McGonagall screeched. She conjured a wall in between the two, and both wizards flew back.

"Professor Moody, we do not use Transfiguration as a punishment. And both of you should note that dueling is not allowed!"

"He started it!" Draco said.

"And I am ending it. Everyone, go to class!"

As Draco was leaving, Moody came up to him and said, "Your father will be proud to hear about your excellent skills."

He did the weird tongue-slip thing again and then took a swig of whatever from his flask. Draco nodded at him and went inside.

On the other side of the courtyard, Hermione was walking to class with Ron and Seamus.

"That was bloody hilarious," Ron was saying, "how Malfoy got himself turned into a ferret."

"He's an excellent duelist," Hermione blurted out before she could stop herself. Both boys turned to look at her.

"Did you really just say that?" Ron asked her.

"Well, it's true. I mean, you saw him fight. Professor Moody is an ex-Auror. He's the best of the best. And yet, he finds himself unable to hold off against a fourth year."

"Or he could be an imposter."

Hermione scoffed. "I'd like to see you duel like either of them. You wouldn't attempt it in your diziest daydreams."

"Why are you supporting Malfoy?"

"Perhaps because I know what it's like to not be appreciated for my talents!" She realized how she looked and shook it off. "You know what? Who cares? Let's just get to class." She marched inside.