3: The Betrothed

Anong oras na ba?" Gabrielle asked herself out loud as she started pacing. "Bakit ba napakatagal n'ya?"

Her robe was starting to make her feel itchy and she was almost tempted to take it off but the wedding dress she changed out of was heavy and she didn't want to welcome the Prince naked.

"Kapag hindi pa dumating 'yung Prinsipeng 'yun ay uuwi na ako," she added almost sulkily.

She heard a knock and she hastily sat down on the bed again. "Tuloy..." she said before clearing her throat. "Bukas 'yan..."

Teka, bukas ba 'yang pinto—

Her question was answered when the door was slowly pushed open.

She immediately lowered her head because she wasn't supposed to see her husband unless he gives her permission to look at him.

"Magandang gabi po, mahal na...Prinsipe..." she nervously said, her eyes focused on her hands which were fisted on top of her lap.

She was tempted to take a peek but she was afraid that she'd ruin the ritual and might be asked to go through the ceremony and the preparations again and she was already famished and really wanted to just get the whole thing over with.

She frowned when the bare feet of her husband came into view and she realized that he was standing too close.

"Gabrielle..." she heard him say.

"Po...?" she asked keeping her head bowed.

"Are you not even curious about how I look?" He sounded amused.

"Hindi po ba dapat bibigyan n'yo muna ako ng permiso bago ko po kayo tingnan?" she replied almost rebelliously.

"I'm supposed to do that...?"

She nodded. "Opo."

"You can look at me."

Slowly, she raised her head and met his gaze.

"There you are..." he said, his voice gentle. "Hi..."

"Hi..." she answered with a small wave of her hand.

"Kumusta?"

"Um...okay naman po..."

"Hindi mo kailangang mag-po at opo sa akin."

"Ahh...okay."

They both stared at each other unsure of what to say next.

"Ikaw, kumusta?" Gabriella bravely asked.

"Okay lang din," Mikael replied with a chuckle. "Ilang taon ka na nga pala?"

"Eighteen." She tried to smile but failed.

"Natatakot ka ba sa akin?" Mikael asked.

"Dapat ba akong matakot?" she asked back.

"Depende..." he said.

"Depende saan?"

"Depende sa'yo. Matatakutin ka ba?"

"Hindi..." she answered almost petulantly. "Ang sabi ng Lolo ko ay matapang ako."

"'Yun naman pala..." He smiled. "Pwedeng umupo sa tabi mo?"

She nodded and he sat down beside her.

"Magsisimula na ba—"

"Pwede bang malaman kung bakit pumayag kang maikasal sa akin?" Mikael asked and Gabrielle frowned.

"Anong ibig mong sabihin?"

"Hindi ba mas maganda kung ikaw mismo ang pumili kung sino ang mapapangasawa mo? Hindi ba gan'un ang mga tao?"

"Pwede ko bang ibalik ang tanong na 'yan sa'yo?"