Chapter 4: Satisfied

"Alright, alright, that's what I'm talking about! Now, everyone, give it up for the maids of honor: Angelica and Eliza Schuyler!"

Angelica smiled and stepped onto the small pedestal, followed by her younger sister. Eliza looked down nervously, aware of everyone's eyes on her. She never liked to be the center of attention.

"A toast to the groom!" Angelica called out proudly, thrusting her glass into the air.

The audience raised their glasses, also. "To the groom! To the groom! To the groom!"

"To the bride!" Angelica smiled and glanced at (Y/N), who was fiddling with her purple sash and grinning.

"To the bride! To the bride, to the bride!"

"From your sisters!" Eliza stepped up to join Angelica in the toast, inviting Peggy up on the stage and putting her arm around her little sister.

"Angelica, Eliza!"

"Who are always by your side." Eliza smiled lightly.

"To your union!"

There were loud cheers from the soldiers. "To the union, TO THE REVOLUTION!"

"And the hope that provide." Angelica said, staring at Alexander.

"May you always be satisfied..." Eliza trailed off at the end, still smiling.

But everyone could tell that she wasn't happy.

It was her eyes. Whenever someone looked into them, they knew exactly how she felt.

When she was happy, her eyebrows lifted and the brown in her eyes became like chocolate: rich and vibrant. When she was angry, her eyes, without fail, squinted into little daggers; her gaze could kill someone.

And when she was sad, her eyebrows became scrunched and her eyelids sagged. There was a certain dullness that no one could really point out, but whoever she looked at was sure it was there. Her eyes usually filled with tears, and she blinked frequently to get rid of them. She tried to hide her emotions, but it never really worked out.

So when Eliza looked at Angelica, the oldest sister could tell she wasn't okay. She wasn't sure why, but she could tell.

Angelica peered back at her sister, asking, "What's wrong?" with her eyes.

Then Eliza collapsed.

Stumbling backwards and almost tripping on her light pink dress, Angelica gasped, scared. She rushed closer to her sister, quickly kneeling down to shake her arm and hoping that would wake her.

"Somebody get a doctor!" Angelica shrieked, her hands shaking Eliza's shoulders more aggressively.

She turned her head towards the audience, who had started to panic. Everyone looked at Eliza and Angelica with furrowed eyebrows, confused.

(Y/N) latched onto Alexander's arm, looking up at him. "Alexander, what happened?" She said, concerned.

The bride began to stand, but Alexander pulled her down gently. "It'll be okay, Angelica has it under control."

A man, probably a doctor, rose from his seat and pointed towards a carriage parked by the chapel. A few men stood out of their seats while the doctor commanded them to pick up the fainted girl before moving to sit in the carriage.

The men stepped up on the stage, lifting Eliza off the ground and carrying her to the carriage. Angelica followed them and peered at her unconscious sister.

As she climbed into her ride, the conscious maid of honor told John Laurens to resume the wedding without them. He nodded and stepped on the stage while the carriage door was closed.