Chapter 9: Burn

(Y/N) didn't know why she was staring at the fire.

It was stinging her eyes.

Oh, wait. That was just her tears.

The corner of the letter that she was holding was covered in a small flame, reminding her of her emotions.

She felt slight anger, but it was more... sadness?

No, that wasn't it.

It was...

She sighed. She didn't even know how she felt anymore.

A tear slipped down her cheek.

She'd saved every letter she got from him. From the moment she read them, she knew he was hers. Well, he said he was hers.

(Y/N) held a letter out in front of her eyes, staring at it longingly.

"I thought he was mine..." she whispered.

She threw the parchment into the fire.

A small fragment of the burning letter flew away from the flame. She caught it.

It said, "A. Hamilton."

"Do you know what Angelica said when we saw your first letter arrive?" (Y/N) asked in a mutter. She roughly chucked the piece of paper away from herself. "She said-"

"Be careful with that one, love
He will do what it takes to survive."

(Y/N) quickly turned to see Angelica and Eliza standing in the doorway. She tried to speak, but just ended up falling on the floor sobbing.

Her sisters came to comfort her. They hugged her and let her cry on them. It broke their hearts to see her so distraught.

"Him and his words flooded my senses," (Y/N) spoke up softly. "His sentences left me defenseless. He built me palaces out of paragraphs. He built cathedrals..."

She smiled sadly, full of longing for how things used to be.

She picked up another piece of paper, re-reading every word her husband wrote in his thin, neat cursive. (Y/N) searched and scanned for answers in every line, for some kind of sign of when he wasn't hers anymore.

Unless he was never hers.

Her sisters still hugging her, she chucked another letter into the flame, clumsily burning her fingertip, too.

As Eliza looked with worry at her sister's hand, Angelica brought her sister's face up to hers, and asked a question, hoping to show (Y/N) reason. "What was so amazing about being his wife anyways?"

This only made (Y/N) break down in to tears again. "When I was with him..." she muttered between sobs, "the world seemed to..."

Her eyes dashed around, desperately trying to describe how he made her feel. Frankly, she'd forgotten until her gaze met the burning flame surrounded with ashes.

"Burn," she choked out.

Burn...

Her hands crumpled another letter in anger and chucked it into the fire. "He published the letters she wrote him. He told the whole world how he brought this girl into our bed," she said with a sudden strength in her voice. "In clearing his name, he has ruined our lives...