Chapter 2: The Winter's Ball

(Y/N) had been staring outside for hours. She gazed at the clean white powder filling the air peacefully, ignoring her sister's calls from outside her door. Angelica and Eliza eventually gave up; they knew how hard it was to bring their sister out of her thoughts.

Still, one final knock on the door made (Y/N) look up quickly and peer at the clock. The knocking became more aggressive as she realized how late it was and hurried to open the door to see that her younger sister had been banging on it. Peggy smirked as (Y/N) saw her and groaned, asking in an irritated voice, "What do you want?"

Peggy blinked her eyes innocently as she said, "Daddy told me to come check on you. He said you should be ready by now." The smirk never left her face.

(Y/N) rolled her eyes and slammed the door shut, not bothering to respond to her sister. She quickly changed into the lovely lilac dress she had picked out for that night. Though she liked every shade of purple from a deep royal blue to a bold magenta, she found that lighter colors suited her the best. Examining herself in the mirror, she smiled at how she looked in the dress. It hugged her figure perfectly, with a low (but not too low) neckline and sleeves that covered her elbows and ended right above the birthmark in the middle of her forearm. The gown was completed with crisp white trim along the edges, making (Y/N)'s skin look bright and healthy.

Despite her unusual disliking for her body, many envied the girl's silhouette. She was tall, about 5'4", and had curves in all the right places. Many young women were jealous of how she looked elegant with everything that she did without even trying, even when she tripped. Her smile alone was gorgeous, but the way her eyes filled with joy every time she grinned had men chasing after her left and right.

Going to join her older sisters in Angelica's chamber, she skipped down the hallway leading to her sister's bedroom. Angelica and Eliza did her hair and gave her makeup, though she hardly needed the blush and lipstick. Once they had finished, the three ladies invited their sister Peggy to join them while they waited for the ball to begin.

The Winter's Ball was held by the Schuylers annually since 1748, and (Y/N) loved the ball dearly even though she'd only attended once before. She enjoyed watching the soldiers constantly flirt with her and her sisters, hoping to catch the attention of one of the girls. Even before she had gone, she loved chatting with her older sisters as they got ready in their elegant gowns and laughing at the music and chatter in their ballroom.

(Y/N) smiled, thinking about the possibility of finding a lover at the ball. Her father only invited soldiers and and rich political figures, so she had little doubt that if she met anyone who she liked, Philip Schuyler would be quick to grant his blessing for marriage. Though she didn't usually show it, she was a hopeless romantic. She'd read about true love in the novels she found in her mansion's library and hoped to find something like that of her own. Just the thought made her helpless inside.

(Y/N) sunk back into the chair she had been sitting in and sighed. She had high hopes for that night.

• • •

Aaron had arrived early.

He always liked being prompt; it made him feel in control of his life. Still, being there in the empty ballroom at 5:15 p.m. meant boredom. Aaron was one of the only people there, and while they were chatting, he could only stare into space from his seat.

Lost in his thoughts, he immediately thought back to the surprise he felt all week. Aaron believed he had a decent chance of impressing General Washington, but somehow Alexander Hamilton had outdone him. That obnoxious, arrogant, loudmouth bother had outdone him!

What made him even more angry was Hamilton's desire to fight. He was one of the luckiest people in war; he was still involved yet far from danger. Yet he still wanted to command a battalion, basked in the glory of battle? This baffled Aaron, shaking his head at the stupidity of Hamilton's wishes.

As more people flooded in the ballroom, Aaron caught the eye of two girls, one in pastel pink and the other in a deep royal blue dress. Seeing the two giggling together and pointing at him, he winked at them which caused them to go into an even bigger fit of whispers and laughs, blushing at the same time. He slightly chuckled, averting his gaze.

Ladies, Aaron thought, there are so many to deflower!

They delighted and distracted him, especially a girl that he'd recently met named Theodosia.

It seemed apparent Hamilton was also reliable with the ladies as Aaron watched him flirt. Alexander had only entered the ballroom minutes ago, but he was already winking and kissing hands with a smirk. He recalled Martha Washington naming her feral tomcat after Alexander, which made Aaron laugh.

He turned his attention to Philip Schuyler, who stood at the top of the stairs leading to the rest of the Schuyler mansion. The crowd soon quieted as Schuyler started his speech.

"Everyone, welcome to the Winter's Ball of 1780! My daughters and I hope that you'll enjoy yourself for the next couple of hours despite your political beliefs about the revolution." The crowd looked at Schuyler's smiling daughters, waiting beside their father. "Whether this is your first or fortieth ball, please revel in the the music, dancing, and catering as we begin the ball!"

As soon as the Schuyler sisters (excluding Peggy) stepped down the stairs, young soldiers threw themselves at the elegant ladies. Aaron smirked and strode to Alexander, tapping him on the shoulder.

Alexander turned and smiled, patting his friend on the back. The two continued with niceties, until Aaron pointed out Angelica, Eliza, and (Y/N).

"If you can marry a sister, you're rich, son," he said, putting a hand on the older man's shoulder.

Smirking at Aaron, Alexander replied, "Is it a question of if, Burr, or which one?"

The two laughed before walking away from each other, Alexander going to talk to one of the sisters.

• • •

Word count: 1068

• • •

Woooo! Let the story begin!

I'll be honest, the next chapter is basically the starting point of the story. But we stan some nice character establishment for Aaron. *tongue click of approval*

Remember, if you liked this chapter, go ahead and leave a vote  down below and feel free to leave a comment if you have any feedback for  me. Even if you don't, I love to read your comments!

Thanks for reading, Lima Bean <3