Chapter 4

Next morning I plopped down in my chair for homeroom. I pulled an all-nighter last night studying for the Chemistry test and now I can barely stay awake during the morning announcements. "Cheer-leading tryouts for next year will be held tomorrow after school."

Rydel squealed beside me, waking me up. "I'm so going to try out!" She poked me. "Try out with me!"

I sighed. "I'm just going to make a fool of myself. Do you think anyone like me," I waved my hand across my body. "Will get in?"

Rydel shrugged. "You are getting your braces off today."

I snorted. "Just getting my braces off won't get me out of this appearance. Besides I still have to go to the eye doctor today." I banged my head against my desk.

"You're coming with me miss, one way or the other."

I sighed. "You Lynches and your threats. Fine." I went back to sleep, ignoring Rydel's squealing beside me.

I dragged myself to first period, which was Chemistry. I sat in my usual seat in the front. Ross walked in the door. I expected him to take his usual seat in the back but instead he pushed the kid off of the seat next to me and sat down. "Hey."

I yawned. "Why are you sitting here today?"

"Well, since nerdy tutored me, the least I can do is sit next to her to make her feel cooler."

"You sure you're not here to cheat on the test?"

Ross pretended to be hurt. "I didn't know you thought so lowly of me!"

The teacher shushed us and began passing out papers. I took a paper and passed it to Ross. As I passed the paper our hands grazed and I got a tingling feeling.

Throughout the test I looked at Ross from the corner of my eye to make sure he wasn't looking at my paper. He was busy sketching a diagram.

Everyone finished the test before the period ended, and we got our tests back in the same period. My paper had a huge A+ on it. Aced it! Ross was twiddling his thumbs while waiting to get his paper. When he got it he frowned. 

"Well?" I asked.

Ross sighed. "I got," he turned his paper around. "B-!" He jumped up and down in his seat like a little kid on a sugar rush. 

"Congrats!" I said.

"Thank you nerdy!" Ross ran to the back of the room to show his brothers. I smiled.

After school mother picked me up. "To the dentist!"

Two hours later I walked out of the dentist with shaky legs. My face looked a lot more smaller and thinner without my head gear.

Next we headed to the eye doctor to get my yearly check up. The doctor smiled at me and said "Good news Beatrice, we've seen an improvement in your eyesight. Have you done those eye exercises we've told you to do?"

I nodded.

"As a matter of fact, your eyes have improved so much that you actually have no need for glasses anymore!"

"Really? Wow!" I took off my glasses. The doctor put it in a case and gave it to mother. I looked at myself in the mirror. My green eyes were brighter now, without being hidden behind two pieces of glass.

Mother led me to the hair salon. "A celebratory hair cut," she told me.

The stylist chopped off some of my waist-length hair until it was only 4 inches below my shoulder and also gave me bangs.  What used to look lifeless and plain was now shiny and smooth. I looked into the mirror. I didn't notice my hair getting natural highlights from the sun until now. There was a streak of brown hair here and there and even some amber colored hair.

As soon as I stepped into the door Rydel ran over and gasped. "Omigosh. You. Look. Amazing!"

I smiled. "Thanks. I think I'm going to go for a victory skate."

I may be a nerd, but my skateboard is my life. I clasped on my helmet and put down my skateboard. After a few minutes of skating I heard someone say "Hey cute skater girl! Wait up!"

I turned around and saw Ross skateboarding toward my direction. I checked behind me to see if there was a cute girl behind me.

Ross stopped his skateboard. "What up babe? Wanna shag now or later?" He winked as he opened a bottle of sports drink.

I laughed. "Ross, it's-" I stopped myself. This can be fun. "I mean hi I'm...Raelyn. Nice to meet you."

Ross nodded. "Raelyn. I like that name. I'm Ross," he held out his hand. I shook it.

Ross winked. "So RaeRae, how 'bout you crash at my place? You know what I mean?" Ross blew me a kiss.

I stifled a laugh. This was the fun part where I get to act. "Eew! You dirty perv! Get away from me!" I slapped Ross and skated away.

I finally let out my laugh as I skated back to my house.

I was sitting on the couch, reading 'The Taming of the Shrew' for English when Ross came in and sat down beside me.

"I-I-I got...rejected! And slapped!" Ross muttered. I buried my head in my book so he can't see my face, or else he'll recognize me as the girl who slapped him. "No one ever rejects me! I mean who can reject," he pushed his hair back. "This?"

"Raelyn can," I said.

"Yeah, well Raelyn rejected me-" he looked at me. "Wait...how do you know her name?"

I put my book down and laughed. "Because I was Raelyn! Serves you right for trying to impregnate every cute girl you see." I laughed again.

Ross studied me. "You look different."

I shrugged while still laughing. "Yeah, I got my braces and glasses off, and I got a haircut."

"Oh." Ross put his hand on my chin. "Well come here 'Raelyn'. I believe we have unfinished business."

"Ew!" I said, slapping his hand away and walking to my room, laughing the whole time.