Chapter 4

“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”

- Thomas Merton

***********************

There she stood in front of his art studio contemplating whether to go in or run away before he opens the door.

This is wrong, very wrong. Thinking that, she was about to turn, what choice do I have? She sighed in frustration.

She decided it, no turning back. She checked for her pepper spray and pocket knife.

Nodding to herself, she pressed the calling button.

No response.

She breathed in and pressed again.

That's it, if he opens the door now, I will go in, else thinking it as not a good sign, then I will leave.

Still there was no response.

She turned around to leave she heard the sound of opening the door.

She froze.

"Diya, what a surprise! Please do come in." he invited in.

Still I can run. She thought, but her legs deceived her.

She stepped into lion's den.

She looked around, all the beautiful paintings were hanged on the wall, but she was in no mood to admire the art.

He sensed her discomfort. She looked as if she would have a panic attack at any moment.

He made her sit, and went in to bring coffee.

"Have coffee", he offered which she politely rejected.

She thought what if he added sleeping dose in it and raped her?

Again he could understand her thinking. He didn't want to embarrass her by explaining that he didn't add anything to the coffee.

She was looking everywhere except him. She knew she insulted him few days before now she is standing in front of him for the same reason.

He didn't want to make the things between them awkward, so he broke the silence, by asking

"How much you want?" he could see that she in some financial problem, which made her to come here.

She needed 80 grand for her tuition fee. Her scholarship covers 60 grand. Actually she had 60 grand herself, but she donated them for her brother's treatment. So now she is need of 20 more. She asked her boss as debt, but he refused to give her saying he doesn't trust her. She asked her friends, but none was able to give her more than 500 bucks. So her option is him.

She don't know how much to ask. What if he says that he can't give that much?

"How much will you give usually?" she whispered.

"It depends on theme I paint for. Now tell me how much you want?"

"10 grand?" she asked unsure whether it is high or low for a poser.

"I will give you 20k, in addition I will give you 10% of the prize, if I win." he promised. Earning money was not his main aim, he earned enough to last for his lifetime, he wanted to showcase his talent to the world.

"When shall we start?" he asked, even though he wanted to paint ASAP.

She wanted the money immediately. So, "Now?"