Prologue - "Where it all began."

It all began with Hershel's farm, where Rick Grimes sought held for his dying son. Where a young red haired girl by the name of Lydia watched silently as a bleeding boy was placed on the infirmary bed, where day after day she watched strangers move in and out of the room, visiting the dying child. She prayed he'd live so she wouldn't be so alone anymore.

Soon enough, the once dying boy recovered, where upon soon after the small farm girl taught him how to ride horses out in the field where their parents could see them, they weren't allowed to stray far from the farm house.

Over time they became friends, the best of, the two could never be separated from one another no matter how hard anyone tried; it was impossible.

They laughed together, ate together and slept beside one another. A girl and a boy best friends in the most innocent of ways.

They were still inseparable even after they lost the farm and along with it Lydia's mother. The once silent girl became silent once again but still Carl Grimes never left her side.

"I'm sorry your Mom died." He told her as they drove away from the burning barn, his small hand softly held hers.

"It's okay... I-" she wiped her tears, "I knew it was going to happen, I'm just glad I didn't lose my sisters or my dad either... Or you."

Carls cheeks instantly burned red.

When the group of misfits found refuge in a prison the two friends found themselves growing up faster than ever. They were given guns, trained to be killers and that was just what they did; they killed, every single day, not only walkers but people too. Bad people.

But even through that they remained closer than ever.

Even after Hershel lost his leg. Even after Lori died. Even after the prison fell and Lydia's father was murdered right before her very eyes.

With each death they became closer and closer with one another, and with that closeness and the change in scenery and age, feelings began to develop too.

"This pudding is the best thing I've ever tasted."

Carl could only watch on in amusement as his younger friend swung her legs back and forth on the edge of the roof and she unintentionally smeared the food across her cheek. She really was a sight for sore eyes.

"You're getting it everywhere! We're gonna have none left!" The boy let out a laugh before he swatted the red head's hand away so she couldn't eat any more.

"C'mon Carl, you know that's not fair!"

"Hey I lost my shoe for this pudding, a walker is leaning out of that window trying to eat me for this pudding. It's mine."

"Please-"

"No." He shook his head, "By the way you have some pudding on your cheek."

"I'm not talking to you any more." She wiped it away.

"Why?"

Lydia only stayed silent.

"Oh, right. You're not talking to-"

Before Carl even had a chance to finish his sentence, the Greene girl had launched herself across the roof and with laughter escaping her lips she desperately tried to wrestle the can from his much stronger hands.