Chapter 1 The Revelation

Sequel to The Crimson Queen.

***

Please do not leave any luggage unattended.

Heathrow airport. The stale stench of coffee, newspaper, and cigarette smoke drifting from the outside world made its way into my nostrils. It was disgusting.

And I loved it.

The 13 hour direct flight from Lima to London had left me exhausted, as well as desperate for the toilet. I had tried to refrain from using the aeroplane toilets as much as possible. Albeit I had spent 3 years in rural settlements in South America, but the lack of hygeine displayed on public transport rendered me ill with just the thought of it.

Stepping out of a cubicle, I discovered myself to be alone in the room. I took this as an opportunity to rinse the sleep out of my eyes and splash water to cool my face. Raising my head, I looked at my reflection in the mirror. Brown eyes rimmed with dark circles, hair straggling down my face, skin sallow and pale. Granted, I had looked worse. Ever since the death of my uncle my nights had been yielded with vivid dreams and, 3 years later, I still woke up screaming relatively often.

Reaching up to hook a strand of hair over one ear, my father's face flashed in the mirror in the place of my own.

I bit my tongue to stop myself from screaming, whispering "He's gone. He's gone. He's gone" to myself in an attempt to calm myself down. He was gone, he died on that rooftop along with Sherlock, and he couldn't hurt me. Uncle Mycroft had assured me that. I remembered how I had screamed at him for being so nonchalant about his brother's death. He was so cold, so indifferent. Ignoring my anger, he still bought me a place in London -a flat on Cheyne Walk overlooking The River Thames- for me to stay in. He had told me "Money is no object" and I knew for a person of his power and status, it obviously wasn't.

I dragged my heavy suitcases behind me and headed for the branch of Costa Coffee where Molly had arranged to meet me.

"Evanna!" she cried, waving rather too excitedly from the far side of the cafe.

Smiling wide, I sat down opposite her. I noticed how she held herself a little higher, and how the light behind her eyes glowed. I told her she looked great.

Hesitantly she told me the same and passed a cup of coffee to me.

I slid it back across the table saying "I'm trying to quit. I realised I drink too much of it, and I sleep better without it"

Sipping her own, she nodded.

"You really didn't have to come here you know. Especially so late at night" I said.

Waving a dismissing hand, she replied "Oh don't worry. I wanted to. And I don't have work tomorrow. Plus I figured you wouldn't want to be alone"

Her eyes shifted to her coffee and she lifted it for another sip.

"I see you're not alone" I remarked on the ring on her hand.

"His name's Tom" she blurted. "He's great"

"I'm sure"

Making our way outside, I wrapped my scarf higher up my neck to shield myself from the cold January weather before we stepped into a taxi. Sitting in the back with me as we travelled to my new flat, Molly kept fiddling with her hands.

Agitated? No. Nervous.

Wandering eyes. She's thinking about saying something.

Not specifically what to say but rather how to say it.

Sensing me staring intently at her she asked suddenly "So what were you exactly doing in South America?"

"Travelling. Cultural growth. Seeing if I could help indigenous people. Solving the occasional crime"

"Got bored of Wales then?" she laughed.

"I needed to get away" I replied shortly.

Her smile disappeared, leading her to ask "How've you been? Not generally, but I mean with the whole Sherlock thing"

I took a deep sigh before replying "Better than I was before. It was just unexpected, you know"

She blew air out of her nose lightly before mumbling "Oh I know"

What do people do in situations like this?

Change the subject?

"His scarf is very itchy" I exclaimed.

Surprise etched on her face, Molly slowly said "Still wearing it though?"

"I've tried lots of different detergents but no luck. Not much of it available in the rainforest though!" I attempted to deter the subject away even more.

It seemed to have worked because Molly started laughing.

So I started laughing.

Before either of us knew what was happening, we were collapsing in peals of laughter, earning strange looks from the driver.

"Maybe... maybe..." Molly giggled. "Maybe when you see... him...you should... tell him... that!"

"What?" I asked, suddenly ceasing to laugh.

Wiping tears from her eyes and still shaking with the occasional laugh, she asked me in a confused voice "What?"

"When I see him? You said when I see him! What the hell does that mean?" I asked violently.

Molly's wide eyes grew even wider. "Shit" she whispered.

"Molly Hooper what are you talking about?" I demanded.

"He's alive" she whispered quickly. "Sherlock's been back for nearly 3 months now"

I couldn't move and I couldn't speak at first. Molly looked at me with expectant eyes. Probably expecting me to cry or be glad.

Instead I leaned forward to the driver and said calmly "Change of plan. Take us to 221B Baker Street please"

"Evanna? What are you going to do?"

I turned back to a somewhat frightened Molly.

"I'm going to kill him"

***

I know it isn't customary to tie up loose ends in the first chapter of a book but hey ho this is a sequel and I can do whatever I want to thank you very much.

So... Evanna's back! Whatever misadventures will she get herself into this time?!

Keep reading my lovely readers. I love you for carrying on from The Crimson Queen.