Chapter 4 A Running DI Means An Important Case

Sherlock's POV

When I saw Lestrade outside of the door I was, needless to say, relieved. All of the idle chitchat that was going on had managed to get on every single one of my 7 billion or so nerves. I didn't care what John, Evanna, or Mary were saying: it made absolutely no difference to my work. But the arrival of the Detective Inspector -now that was important. Because it meant the hailing of a crime, and solving crime is what I do.

"Carry on Detective Inspector" I said, seeing he had become distracted by Evanna's presence.

"Err... yeah" he started, finally managing to tear his eyes away from my niece. "We've got something you might be interested in. And John too -it's a bit of a medical mystery"

Upon hearing his name, John's back straightened, and he adopted the attentive qualities he gained as a soldier.

"Crime scene?" I questioned.

"Not specifically" Lestrade answered as he shrugged off his winter coat. "Rather the whole of London"

John stood up, his eyebrows knitted together in confusion, and asked "What?"

Lestrade answered straightaway. This meant he had been practising this pitch for fear of me not finding it interesting -and was expecting any question possible. Adding this to the fact that he literally ran up the stairs, I knew that this case was important. Very important.

Lestrade's prepared speech started with "There's been a large number of cases of-"

But we didn't get to hear the rest, because we were interrupted by a savage looking Evanna.

"Can someone please explains to me what is happening here?" she virtually screamed.

"It's quite obvious" I answered casually. "Graham Lestrade here has a crime. And I am being asked to solve it"

"It's er... It's Greg actually" he sighed, walking over to shake Evanna's hand. "I'm a DI at Scotland Yard and-"

"Yes I know who you are" she snapped, causing Lestrade's eyes to widen, and for him to take a step back. "You're the one who keeps messing up the Water's gang robberies"

Lestrade's back straightened and he took on a defensive stance.

"But" Evanna continued. "Sherlock and John have told me great things about you. So please, carry on"

Evanna's POV

"Sorry about that" Sherlock said to the Detective Inspector's bewildered face. "Lately she's become a bit tetchy" he mouthed the last word.

I decided not to protest, knowing it would be futile.

"There's been lots of cases of illness around west central London during the past 3 weeks" he spoke quickly, realising 10 minutes had already been wasted because of me. "We don't know why it's happening or where it's come from. Word on the street is that it's a package virus. But we need a trustworthy source of information"

"Any link between the victims: lifestyle, class, symptoms?" John asked.

"Same symptoms, but the rest not exactly, although there are lots of homeless"

"John" I said suddenly. "You said your surgery's been busy with a new bug"

"You think...?" he asked.

I nodded in reply, then Sherlock told him "Check your patient files, and cross reference with the symptoms and where they live.

"I'll do that" Mary said, evidently feeling left out.

"Lots of homeless" repeated Sherlock, turning his attention back to what the man had said before.

I understood the tone of concern that laced his voice; Sherlock relied on his homeless network. And as I understood it, many of them had helped him to fake his death. If there was one group in society that my uncle had a great deal of respect for, it would be them. The derelicts. The vagrants. The homeless.

"Hospital admissions?" he carried on, pacing around the room in a continuous motion.

"Quite a few actually, mostly in wards i-"

"I meant for the homeless" Sherlock cut off Lestrade, his eyes glowing with knowing and spite.

Lestrade paused for a while, staring at the floor, before breathing out an almost pitying "No"

A snort of disgust on my uncle's behalf was followed by Lestrade continuing, in that same consoling tone of voice, with "With the lack of hygiene and whatnot for them, most... most didn't make it"

Sherlock's POV

"Just say they died Lestrade!" I bellowed at him, unable to control myself. "There's no need for ridiculous euphemisms when we're being factual here!"

"Sherlock!" Evanna retorted, and I turned to face her with glaring eyes. "There's no need for ridiculous emotions when we're being factual here!"

I stopped. I breathed. I smiled. I said "You're right"

It just wasn't fair.

Life isn't fair said the voice of Mycroft in my head.

But these people -people who are forced to live on the streets. They die when they could otherwise survive. They are neglected when they could otherwise get help. This world is based on the principle that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. So the homeless, as a minority, are ignored and left to die whilst others are given the opportunity to survive.

I had almost forgotten that John was in the room until he questioned "Food? Water supply?"

"All been checked" Lestrade replied. "All the victims of the illness eat different foods and all the water treatment processes are working perfectly. We just need to get this sorted before they get the WHO involved"

"Who?" asked John.

"The WH-" Lestrade replied before realising and laughing sarcastically.

"Oh John" Mary sighed, slapping a hand on his knee. "Your jokes are perfect dad material"

They stated staring into each other's eyes until Evanna cleared her throat. She, like me, was evidently fed up with this disgusting show of sentiment and wanted it ended as soon as possible.

"So if you want us to solve this before it grows out of hand then there's some things I will need" Without pausing I started with "Access to patient files. Full description of symptoms"

"Photos too" Evanna added.

Pointing in agreement at her I said "Data for all the possible running water treatment services in inner London. Outer too, just to be sure"

Evanna jumped in again with "Any evidence you have of this so-called package virus. Also any terrorist alerts"

"However minor" I continued. "And finally a list of all the locations where this illness has been reported. Go Lestrade. Now"

Without saying a word, simply a few umms and ahhs, he left, leaving Evanna, John, and Mary in a ready silence around me.

***

Evanna really needs to get over her anger issues. Otherwise she could end up like her dad...

*evil grin*