Chapter 3 Lots Of Catching Up To Do

Sherlock's POV

"So John doesn't live here anymore?" she asked, leaning against the kitchen counter, stirring a mug of coffee.

"Correct" I grunted.

She passed the coffee to me, saying "And he's got a girlfriend?"

"Fiancée. Mary Elizabeth Morstan. They're getting married" I added, although the last part was obvious.

Evanna wrinkled her nose, whilst simultaneously raising her eyebrows, and gave a quiet snort of disgust before she said "Eww"

"I know" I agreed, before taking a sip of the bitter coffee.

Just then, and thankfully breaking the lull in conversation, Mrs Hudson entered the room. Placing her hands on her apron-clad hips, she sighed and shook her head whilst -as per usual- giving no explanation for her actions. Then, she stepped towards Evanna and, squeezing her cheeks, cooed "Oh Evanna, I'm so glad you're back!"

With a glance to me, she said "I know he's glad too, even if he won't show it. Plus, I'm surprised you reacted so well to the news that he's not... you know..."

She turned her back to us to stack a few plates in the cabinet, giving Evanna an opportunity to give me a questioning look.

I whispered back "I may have... changed the story. I thought you'd appreciate that better"

Before she could say anything in reply, Mrs Hudson had turned back round and said to Evanna in a hushed voice "By the way, that bikini you bought me as a souvenir is a bit much for my age dear"

"I've been on YouTube Mrs Hudson" smiled Evanna, carrying on with "I thought it'd bring a bit of... hmm... nostalgia" and pointing her index finger at her in the triumph that resulted with finding the right word.

Lost for words, Mrs Hudson stuttered out of the flat. The door she opened gave way for John to walk in, closely followed by Mary.

"Evanna!" he cried, barging straight past me and towards the direction of my niece.

Mary stood politely at the edge of the kitchen-living room divide and, removing her gloves and grey scarf, nodded a greeting to me, which I returned.

Evanna's POV

I wasn't quite sure what John was doing. First he opened his arms as if inviting me in for a hug, then dropped them again only to raise his left arm once more to move it towards my shoulder. Deciding this wasn't the best idea either, he kept making spasmodic arm movements; until I became fed up and briskly stuck out my right hand, earning a snigger from the blond woman with whom he had arrived with.

After he had shaken my hand, red with embarrassment and clearing his throat, I turned my attention to that certain woman.

"Mary Morstan?" I asked, standing before her.

After smiling wide, but with her mouth closed, she said "Yes. I'm sorry your party fell to shambles, Sherlock's normally good at planning things"

Remembering what my uncle had told me, I realised "Oh yes! I hear he's helping to plan the wedding" I turned to John and said, albeit forcefully, "Congratulations by the way"

He stepped over and placed an arm around his fiancée's shoulders. "Thanks Evanna, really" he nodded. "But there'll be more about that later. First!" he exclaimed. "We've got lots of catching up to do"

We all followed Sherlock as he guided us to the living room. He grabbed his violin and claimed his chair, John his, and Mary and I took a seat on either side of the client's sofa.