Ch 1

"Oscar! I swear to God if you don't get back here right now, I'm not giving you any treats for the rest of the week," I implored desperately into the dark woods behind my apartment where my cat had disappeared into. I had opened the patio door for a split second to toss out some dirt and the minute I turned around the sneaky tabby had taken off like a bullet towards the path that crept into the woods. We used to walk it all the time during the summer but with the nights getting colder, those times were getting farther and fewer between. I guess the stubborn old cat had missed it and instead of waiting for me to take him, had gone on a trek by himself...at 10 o'clock at night. "Oscar!" I called again. No response. Resigned I started onto the trail into the woods.

The looming trees were unyielding and I shivered pulling my thin robe tighter, hugging myself as a gust of wind whipped through it. The moon was large and eerie and even though its light was brighter than most nights, I still used my phone's flashlight to cut through the shadows in the dense undergrowth. Clutching my phone in one hand, I kept a firm grip on the pepper spray in the other all the while cursing my stupid, adorable cat as I stepped over yet another tree root. "Oscar!" I yelled at the stupid trees. Another gust of wind brought with it the tinkling of the bell on his collar and I picked up speed nearly running down the winding trail as it led deeper into the woods.

A branch whipped across my face and I swore as I reached up and felt blood. My pace unconsciously slowed as I tried to wipe away the warm liquid as it trickled down my cheek. Alternating between calling for Oscar and listening for the chime of his bell, I almost cried in relief as I turned the corner and saw the grey tabby sprawled in the dirt path stretching and rolling around like he was having the time of his life. Pocketing the pepper spray, I scurried over to him and scooped him up. He struggled at first but once he realized it was me, he just pulled back and shot me the most baleful look a cat could manage for ruining his fun. Ignoring his sassiness, I just hugged him closer and started back the way I came.

My worry for Oscar abated, I became hyper aware of every snap of a twig, every knocking branch, or rattling leaf. The woods seemed darker and the trees pressed closer. Walking a little faster, I kept my eyes glued to the path in front of me, refusing to look out into the underbrush for fear I'd see eyes. Shaking myself, I couldn't help but smile at my ridiculous thoughts. Here I was, 26 years old and still afraid of the things that go bump in the night. Besides, if there was anything out there, Oscar would have sensed it, but he just sat snuggled into my chest looking ready to drift off to sleep. Placing a quick kiss on his furry little head, I kept walking, eyes still downcast though this time it was to look out for roots.

We were about 100 yards from the entrance and I could just make out the glimmer of lights from the small apartment complex when we hurt it. A cracking twig echoed over the softer sounds of the forest and my back spasmed in fear and I twisted quickly scanning the forest. There was nothing there so I turned and kept walking a little faster. Another twig cracked, this time off to the left and the hair on the back of my neck stood up as Oscar crawled up to look over my shoulder, a low snarl emanating from his throat. The sound was absolutely feral and something I'd never heard from him before. That alone was enough for me to pick up the pace. The answering growl I heard from behind me made me break out into a full sprint.

A succession of twigs cracking off to my left accompanied by Oscar's claws digging into my back made me whimper and I ran at a break neck speed not caring as branches whipped me in the face. My lungs burned in protest but I didn't slow down. Whatever was behind us was full on chasing us at this point and I could hear it's growling breaths as if they were right in my ear. I refused to turn around to look for fear of what I would see. The large lawn in front of my patio came into view and I felt like crying but I didn't slow down. The animal behind us was closer and its snarls and growls were hot on the backs of my thighs. Ignoring the burn in my muscles and my screaming lungs, I pushed on almost to the edge of the woods when a searing pain exploded in my ankle. Screaming, I stumbled dropping Oscar in the process. Landing hard on my hands, I instinctively flipped over scrambling backwards.