Ch 7

I wish I could say I slept well, but the wolf came back. And with him came the searing pain. Screams were once more stuck in my throat and I watched helpless as his canines tore through my ankle. With a parting glance, he smiled. Actually smiled. A barking cackle had me jerking awake.

"Oh thank goodness!" A petite bundle of human launched itself at me as soon as I stirred and I winced as the movement jostled my ankle. "Helen?" I asked in confusion. Looking around, I saw I was in my room at Helen's. My mind was running through the day. I remembered fighting with Heath and then nothing. Just the dream. "What happened?" I questioned as the door opened a concerned Phil and Heath shuffling through. "You passed out, honey. And you were running a terrible fever," Helen explained coming to sit by me on the bed and feeling my forehead. "Heath brought you back here. You were out for three hours. I was about to call the ambulance," Helen whispered the last part, looking at me in concern. I patted her hand and pulled her close.

"I'm sorry I worried you. I must not be as healed as I thought I was."
"Oh, don't you dare apologize, Mira Ann. I just want you to know that you have people who love you and if you ever give me a scare like that again, I'm going to call your mother!" Helen threatened, barely containing the tears. I gasped in mock horror and she swatted my arm. "Now you stay here and Phil and I will get you a cup of tea. Won't we dear?" She directed the question to her husband who was already on his way out the door. That left just Heath and I. And of course, my ankle chose that moment to flare in pain. I inhaled sharply and he was at my side in a millisecond. He held me until the pain subsided and then heaved a heavy sigh.

"Didn't I say something like this would happen?"

"Can we not do this now?"

"You're right. We should wait until the next time this happens. Who knows you might not wake up and then we can skip the conversation altogether."

"That was really fucking uncalled for. You know, this whole asshole Heath really isn't that appealing. Can I have the old one back please?"

"No you can't and you know why? I don't think he fucking exists anymore. And it's your fucking fault. The old Heath wasn't worried about the fact that you'd be too goddamn stubborn to accept the truth. The old Heath wasn't worried that you're going to die because of a fucking rogue, a rogue he was supposed to kill. And the old Heath certainly wasn't worried he was falling in love with you. So no. You can't have the old Heath back." He was breathing hard and he furrowed his eyebrows in confusion at my gobsmacked expression "What?"

"What?! You just said you were falling in love with me! That's what!"

"No. I- I didn't say that. I-"

"Oh, no. You said it mister. Somewhere amongst the swearing and proclamations that I was going to die, you said and I quote-"

"Alright. I don't need a play-by-play. I remember. I just- I didn't mean to say that."
"Oh."

"No, not like that, darlin'. I just meant-. Oh, fuck it!" And with that, he swooped down and captured my lips in a heart pounding, toe curling kiss. His scruffy beard scratched deliciously against my skin and his lips were soft as velvet but with a steel that had me kissing him back like my life depended on it. My arms wove around his neck and he pulled me impossibly close, his arms in a crushing circle around me. Finally, we pulled away, both a little out of breath, foreheads leaning against each other. "Fuck," came his gravely voice. "I've been wanting to do that since the first time I saw you."

"Well, what took you so long?" I giggled pecking his lips once more. A clearing throat behind us had us pulling apart faster than Heath could say fuck. My face was burning crimson as Helen practically skipped into the room. The knowing smirk had me wishing I could crawl in a hole and die. "Oh, don't stop on my account," she chirped. I just groaned and shot a glance at Heath who was watching me in amusement. "Not funny," I mouthed but he just shrugged and shot me a dimpled grin. Helen set the tea on the nightstand and stood, hands on her hips, observing Heath and me as we each sat on opposite sides of the bed. "It's about damn time, you two. Phil and I had bets on when you'd take the dive. I won," she declared proudly, that silly grin never leaving her face. "You're not mad?" I questioned hesitantly.