Ch 9

Not even sex could keep the wolf in my dreams at bay and he crept closer that night, nipping at my heels, snarling whenever the light touched him. I woke up in a cold sweat and ran a hand over my face trying to get rid of the vivid image of those yellow eyes. I looked down at Heath, still naked and smiled remembering what happened just a few hours before. Laying back down, I snuggled into his side, sighing in contentment when his arms wrapped around me and pulled me close. I fell asleep again listening to his steady beating heart. The wolf was back but I managed to sleep through it and only woke up when sunlight streamed through the skylight and onto my face.

We spent the morning in bed, only getting up when our growling stomachs reminded us to eat. Heath had reluctantly agreed to drive me back to Helen's that night. "You can stay here again, you know," he'd argued peeved that I wanted to leave. "I know, and as amazing as that sounds, I've got work in the morning and I'm still wearing my clothes from yesterday. Besides, I can't just abandon Helen and Phil."
"They'd understand. And I would drive you to work in the morning," he grumbled pouting at me. I sighed. I wanted to stay, but I also needed some distance. "Heath, my life has changed drastically in the last two days. I need some time to process it. I love spending time with you, I really do. But I'm still my own person and I just need some alone time to figure it out. Don't think it's because of you. This is just how I deal with major life-changing events." He pouted again, but finally nodded in understanding.

"I'll stop by Something Blue for lunch tomorrow," he promised, giving me a goodbye kiss. "I'll be distracted all morning just thinking about it," I said between kisses. He just snorted and gave me a final peck on my forehead. "Be safe, and call me the second your ankle starts to hurt or you get dizzy or your head hurts, okay?"

"Yes, dad," I intoned sarcastically. "And can I call you if I just miss you?"

"I'm counting on it."

And then he was gone. I know it was my idea to come to Helen's but I couldn't help missing him the second he was out of sight. I'd only known the man for a month for chris' sake. There was no reason for me to be feeling this way about him so soon. Shaking myself, I headed into the house.

Helen and Phil were glad to have me back and Brian and Liz came over for dinner again. It felt like home again and my mind rested easier in the familiarity. I lay in bed that night, trying my hardest to stay awake. Without Heath, I knew the wolf would attack in my dreams and that it would be worse than last time. The knowledge that the dreams were getting worse had me contemplating the future. Heath would be with me through the whole thing. But I would be a wolf. Even saying it in my head, I had to admit I sounded crazy. And the thought of my family had me pausing. I wouldn't be able to tell them for obvious reasons, and even though Heath had promised it wouldn't be much different, I had never kept a secret that big from them before. Helen would be heart broken to know I hadn't told her. And my mother... I shuddered at the thought.

But it had to be done. There was no denying it. I hadn't told Heath, but my ankle had started throbbing after my dream last night and had steadily gotten worse throughout the day. I'd popped a few pain pills and done my best to ignore it. A sudden wave of exhaustion swept through me and I turned on the bedside lamp in an attempt to keep myself awake. It wasn't working.

A bitter howl had awake in seconds. I looked around to find myself in the back yard on the ground with no idea how I'd gotten there. My brain briefly reeled through images of a nightmare. The wolf had been in my room and I'd managed to escape this time, running out the patio door. I must have started sleep walking. A pale moon illuminated the green lawn and encroaching trees. Shuddering from the cold, I got up to run inside, but a sharp pain in my ankle had me stumbling. Another howl came from the trees and I felt a wave of fog roll into my mind dimming the pain and dulling my senses. It was like I was seeing the world through a dream. The next howl was subdued from the rhythmic throbbing in my ears. The world spun and I felt a wave of nausea wash over me. Lurching, I fell to my knees gagging. Taking a deep breath, I lifted a shaky hand to wipe the sweat from my forehead. Heath. Somewhere in my muddled brain, I knew I had to call Heath. I struggled to my feet and trudged as if through a nightmare towards the stairs of the deck. But I didn't get very far.