Ch 6

A loss of warmth jostled me out my sleep and I rolled over trying to find that familiar comfort so I could fall back asleep. I didn't have to roll far and I sighed in satisfaction as warmth once more enveloped me. A chuckle had me scrunching my face in confusion and I cracked one eye open trying to surmise what was going on. A bare chest came into view and I followed it up to a bearded face with heavy lidded eyes and a sleepy grin. Heath. I felt my lips quirk up automatically and I thought about how nice it would be to always wake up like this. My face flushed and I shook my head at the traitorous thoughts.

"Morning," his husky morning voice had me swallowing hard. "Morning," I whispered. Not wanting to move, but not wanting to be awkward, I slowly backed away and sat up, watching as he stretched an arm over his head. His muscles moved and rippled under tanned skin and I watched in rapture. His laugh brought me out of my reverie and I looked away quickly, blushing. "You know, I usually take a woman out on a date before I sleep with her," his teasing voice moved as he sat up too. I couldn't help the snort of laughter at that. "Nice to know you have some standards, Cliffy," I purposefully tacked on standing up and stretching. I waited for his equally sassy comeback and when none came I looked over my shoulder. My tank top had ridden up when I'd reached for the ceiling and Heath's eyes were riveted on the bare skin of my lower back. Clearing my throat, his eyes snapped to mine and the guilt I'd expected wasn't there. All I saw was desire. Unsure what to do and trying my best to ignore the rush of heat that swept through me at his intense gaze, I cleared my throat again and walked to the door. "I'm going to shower and get ready," I said before disappearing out into the hall not waiting for his reply.

I was just putting my contacts in when a rap on the door had me starting. "Motherfucker!" I swore as I jammed my finger into my eye. Heath's deep laugh had me glaring at the door and I swung it open, hands on my towel clad hips. My eye was red and watery and I was more than a little pissed. "What?" I yelled in exasperation and Heath just continued to laugh at my anger. "I'm sorry, darlin'," he managed between gasps of laughter. "I don't think I've ever seen you this angry. It's fucking adorable!" A fresh set of guffaws had me slapping his chest. "You made me stab my eye. And I'm rather inclined to keeping my vision. Now what the fuck do you want?" He finally settled down, wiping at the corners of his eyes.

"I'm going up to the house today and was just wondering if you wanted to tag along. I'm starting to uncover furniture and redecorate. Figured that'd be right up your alley and it'll give us a chance to talk," he added the last part, his face completely sobered. Nodding, I agreed equally excited about all the treasures the house held and apprehensive at the thought of our impending conversation. "Good. Now hurry the fuck up. I've got to shower yet too." Rolling my eyes at his impatience, I just turned and shut the door with a small grin.

Breakfast was a quick ordeal. Helen questioned my sleep and I artfully skirted around the answer, catching Phil's skeptical glance. Shrugging, I reassured them I was fine and informed them of my plans for the day. If my aunt ever questioned my odd friendship with Heath, she never showed it. Aside from making me promise to come home the second I wasn't up to it, she wished us both luck in our adventure. We both promised we'd be back for dinner and then piled into Heath's truck, arms loaded with notebooks, food, and tools – the notebooks were for me and the tools for Heath.

The ride was quick and quiet but the silence was comfortable, each of us immersed in our own thoughts. Finally we turned into a gated drive with large stone columns framing a wrought iron gate. Heath punched in a code and we made our way up a winding driveway surrounded by trees. Around the last bend, we finally came upon the old house and I gasped, already unbuckling and bouncing in my seat impatiently as Heath parked the truck. He just laughed, purposefully taking ages to put the car in park. "Come on, Heath," I whined, hand on the door handle. "Damn, darlin'. If you get this excited about a house I can't imagine what you'll do when-"