Epilogue

(One and a half years later)

"Who the fuck are you?" a voice came from behind me startling me as I washed the dishes from this morning's breakfast. "Excuse me, but who the fuck are you?" I asked, trying to mask my surprise as I turned and saw five people standing in my kitchen. I kept a hand curled behind my back as I grasped the knife I'd just been washing. I sent a silent prayer that Heath heard the commotion all the way upstairs as I assessed the strangers in front of me. There were three men and two women, all wolves and all young – early twenties - except for the leader who looked to be about 40. Said leader was tall and muscular, with black tattoos running up and down his arms. His hair was light brown and I noticed his face was scruffy. The two younger men flanking him were similar in age and build and from the identical facial features, I guessed they were brothers. But, while one was blonde and blue eyed, the other had bright red hair and hazel eyes. The two women couldn't have been more different. One was tall and willowy with black hair and big blue eyes. There was a hardness to her that made me wonder just what she'd been through. The other one was short and petite with long blonde hair and brown eyes. Unlike her counterpart, this one seemed to be more friendly and she was looking on with worry instead of anger.

"I asked first, princess," the leader spoke again taking a step forward. I gripped the handle of the knife tighter. "And I suggest you answer this time. What the hell are you doing in the Branson house?"

"You've got a lot of nerve asking me that question. This is my house! You're the one who just barged in!" Damn Heath and his aversion to locking doors, I thought as I noticed the open front door. The man took another step forward and I drew the knife holding it in between us. "This house belongs to the Bransons," he argued and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. As if I didn't know that. "If you won't tell us who you are, maybe you'll tell us where Heath is," he said in a calm voice that had me more worried than his angry voice. I looked at the group, sizing them up. Sure, I could hold my own against Heath on a good day, but he was one wolf. Here were five. My odds weren't looking good. Now seemed like a good time to tip my hand.

"Heath Branson? You mean my husband?" I questioned, holding up my left hand so they could see my ring. The leader stopped his advance, suddenly looking unsure. "Heath isn't married," he said firmly, though his eyes kept glancing from the ring to my face. I sighed in frustration. "It's a pretty new development. Happened three months ago actually," I explained. He still didn't look convinced and I sighed again. "Heath! Come here please," I yelled loudly, making sure he heard it through the thick wooden floor. I yelped when the leader pounced, knocking the knife from my hand. With a quick sideswipe, I caught him in the jaw, but he just grabbed my hand caging my wrists in front of me.

"Get your fucking hands off my wife," came a deadly calm voice that had me sighing in relief. I looked past my assailant to see Heath standing there, hands clenched in fists and his eyes stormy with rage. My arms were immediately released and I ran to my husband who gave me a once over before pushing me behind him. I peeked around his big frame and watched the leader finally turn around with a sheepish look on his face. Immediately Heath's body relaxed. "Ewan?" he asked in disbelief completely abandoning me to go hug his apparent friend. They embraced for a moment and then Heath broke away. Before I knew what was happening, he had slugged "Ewan" in the face, hitting him squarely in the nose. "That was for touching my wife," he explained, flexing his knuckles. "I deserved that," Ewan conceded, taking my dishtowel to clean up the blood from his bloody nose. "Damn right you did," I interjected before turning to Heath. "You know these people?" I practically shrieked, waving my arms to show my confusion. They all did look suddenly guilty, but I was pissed. They broke into my home for God's sake. "Mira," Heath sighed coming to stand by me but I just folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow.