Chapter Nine: Therapy

I glare at the painting on the wall, my arms folded across my chest.

My therapist is young, probably in her early thirties or late twenties. She's pretty with long brown hair and matching eyes. She has freckles too.

"Gracelyn, how about you tell me something about yourself?" She says.

I sigh at Dr. Evans.

Maybe therapy could be good for me.

"I um...I'll be seventeen in September." I mutter. "I'm sorry, I don't really know what you want to hear."

"What do you do in your free time? What are your friends like? Your parents? Do you like school? Do you know if you're going to college? What do you want to study?"

"In my free time..." I hesitate. "Watch Netflix...go on Instagram."

"Do you have any hobbies?"

I look down.

"I used to."

She hesitates. "What were they?"

"I uh...loved drawing, painting...writing." I pause. "And I think if people could, they would buy the houses I make in the sims. I love interior design, so I used to draw what I thought my house would look like..." I pick at a spot on my shorts.

"When did you stop drawing and writing?" She asks.

I hesitate, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth.

"When I stopped dreaming about my future."

She just nods and gestures for me to continue.

"My friends...I had two, but she was fake and um...she didn't really care about me, so I'm not friends with her anymore. Now I have Danny, and I have since I was born."

"And what's he like?"

"Funny. Smart. Nice. He's like my brother. He's been there for me a lot, even when he couldn't be there in person."

"I don't know how I feel about school here yet because I just moved here a few days ago from Maryland. I hated it up there, but that's because Danny was down here and I had no friends. I plan to go to college but I know don't where, and I'm going into real estate...maybe. I don't know yet."

"You didn't answer the question about your parents." She says calmly.

"My Dad is nice and he cares about me." I say flatly.

"And your Mom?"

"My mother tried to murder me." I shrug. "So I don't speak to her."

"She tried to murder you?" She asks.

"Yes. Now I have nightmares, so how about you prescribe me some meds and send me on my way."

*****

After my shrink told me that my nightmares were not going to be solved probably by a pill, she instructed me to try a few different methods and proceeded to print out a piece of paper. She wants me to try all of them for next week.