Chapter Twenty Seven: Driving

Danny

I feel myself being shaken awake.

"I'm not getting up before my alarm." I mumble, rolling over.

"Where is she?" Dad asks.

"Where is who?" I mutter.

"Where is Gracelyn?" He presses.

I yawn.

"Dad, I don't know. She's at home. In bed. Sleeping. Showering. Cooking. Probably being adorable."

"Danny, she's not at home, her car is gone and a lot of her stuff is missing." Mom says in the doorway.

That makes me sit up.

"What?" I ask.

"She's gone, buddy." Mom says softly.

I kick the covers off of me and stand up.

"What do you mean she's gone?" I ask. "Maybe she just went to school early."

"Scott said her toothbrush isn't in the bathroom...her shampoos are gone..."

I reach for my phone to call her.

"Her phone is on the kitchen counter." Dad says. His voice is grim, his lips in a flat line. "Are you sure you don't know where she is? She didn't say anything?"

"No. She hasn't said anything to me about...about anything."

"Alright, well get ready for school." Dad sighs.

"I'm not going to school with Grace missing!" I say. "No way."

Dad sighs, frustrated. He turns to Mom and she grimaces.

"Can you blame him?" She says. "Get dressed sweetie, we're going to Scott's house."

*****

Dad steers his truck into the driveway and Grace's Jeep isn't here.

I'm out of the car before it stops moving, rushing up the path.

Scott is in the kitchen pacing.

"Where is she?" He asks.

"I don't know." I say. "She didn't tell me anything. I swear I'm not covering for her. I don't know where she is."

He sighs.

"Dammit. Dammit!" He hits the counter. "I don't know where she would go! Where the hell would she go?"

Mom and Dad enter the house then.

"Where would she go?" Scott repeats.

"I don't know." Dad sighs.

I walk into her bedroom and see her drawers half open. Her toiletries are gone out of the bathroom.

"We know she left on purpose. She wasn't forced." I say. "So she's not in danger, right?"

"Danny, we don't know anything right now." Mom says gently.

I look to Grace's desk and see her MacBook is gone.

She has her MacBook.

Scott pulls out his phone and dials the police and I start thinking hard, my mind replaying everything that happened yesterday.

She's scared of Eileen, so there's not a chance in hell she would go see her. She won't go to her Nana's because her Mom is there.

"What about Grandma Elizabeth?" I ask. "Would she go there?"