Chapter Twenty Two: Project Partners

He never texted me back and the message never went to read. Beatrice and Caleb said he refused to come over for Thanksgiving, so I sat alone while our parents drank and joked and laughed, and right after dinner and I went into my room and locked the door, and I snuck out the back and tried to go to his house, but he looked through the glass and just left me on the porch, and I tried to get him to come outside but he wouldn't.

When I called him, it wouldn't ring. His instagram said no posts yet, his twitter wouldn't pop up, and his Snapchat was grey.

He blocked me on everything.

So I did the most natural thing for me to do.

I went home and I cried.

I should have accepted him the moment he told me how he felt, but I genuinely didn't feel the same, and now he's all I can think about.

I went to his house when his parents were home and Beatrice told me he won't let me in the house. She did let me inside but I left after like two minutes because I was going to cry, and she knew it. She gave me the saddest smile I've ever seen and a hug and let me leave.

I've tried every single day, and Caleb and Beatrice promised me they were trying to talk sense into him.

I need a pity puppy to love me and give me kisses and sleep with me because Daniel motherfucking Grey won't.

He won't even look at me, and I'm going to go insane.

I got through the first two classes without running into him, but as I walk into third period health, I see Danny sitting in another seat and a brunette is in his seat.

He glances up from his phone, looks at me, and looks right back at his phone.

How I feel right now must be how he felt when I ditched him.

On top of all of this, Miley was sworn to secrecy by both Kyle and Danny.

I don't have a plug.

Livid, I loudly drop into my seat next to the girl.

After a few minutes, the class is full. I'm sitting with my arms crossed.

"I'm assigning a new project." Coach announces.

A round of groans are heard around the classroom.

"You guys are to go to the grocery store, get a box of breakfast bars and test taste them, and then use a box to create your own bar with the nutrition facts and everything as if it's the box you buy the bars in, and then you will make a commercial for them. You will have your usual partners, but Daniel, you will work with Ian, and Gracelyn, you will work with Brecklyn."

Who the hell is Brecklyn?

The brunette who took Danny's spot smiles at me a little bit.

"Are you Brecklyn?" I whisper. She nods.

"Coach? I'd like to work with Gracelyn. Daniel can work with Brecklyn." Ian speaks up.

"Okay, sure." Coach says.

"Coach, if you make me work with him, I'll drop out of school." I say bluntly. A few laughs are heard from around the classroom, and I even see Danny crack a smile. Brecklyn next to me is snorting.

"But Gracelyn, you guys would be cute together." Coach says jokingly. "But you and Daniel are in a lovers quarrel."

I know she's being sarcastic, and I've been convinced she hates me since day one.

"Gracelyn, you will work with Ian. Brecklyn, you will work with Daniel."

"I'll take the F." I say.

"You seriously are willing to fail because of how badly you don't want to work with him?" She asks.

"Yes!" I exclaim.

What is so fucking hard to understand? Ian has a thing for me and he's going to hit on me. I want nothing to do with him.

"Fine." She says. "You can work with Daniel."

"Can't you just keep the partners the way they were?" Danny asks sharply. "You want to know what's going on? Grace and I have been best friends for our entire life, literally. I've been in love with her since fifth grade and she doesn't feel the same. It's that simple. So I don't want Ian working with her and I don't want to work with her, so would you please just stick me with Mr. Manwhore and leave Grace out of this?!"

Every single eye in the room is on Danny.

I can't believe he would blurt that out for everyone to fucking hear.

"You know, maybe if you would listen to me-" I start angrily.

"I'm done listening to you, Grace." He says. "I'm done. Every time I see you it's like a punch in the face. Every time this guy says something to you, I want to punch him in the face. You're so incredible and beautiful and you don't see your worth, and it's hard to be around you. I'm done listening, because I already know what you're going to say. I'm tired of wondering why I'm not good enough for you."

I open my mouth to beg him to listen to me, but he gathers his things and goes storming out of the class.

Every set of eyes are on me and I know the dam is going to burst.

I quickly scrawl my number down on a piece of paper and hand it to Brecklyn, and then I grab my things and walk out too.

I planned on going to the bathroom but by the time I take three steps in the hall, I'm full on sobbing so I walk so fast I'm almost running and shove through the doors. I run all the way across the parking lot to my car and unlock it, my hands shaking as I pull the handle and get inside. I throw my backpack, which is wide open, onto the passenger seat. My books spill all over the place.

I drop my head onto the steering wheel and cry.

I cry for so long that I hear the bell ring three different times. Lunch is starting and I can't even keep my eyes dry long enough to drive home.

I know I hurt him, I know that, but if he's in love with me, he should at least give me the time of day to tell him how I feel.

But he doesn't want to, so I just drive home.

My eyes are blurry as I drive and the more I blink, the more tears fall.

I'm astounded when I get home safely.

*****

Don't worry it'll get worse, I have tears thinking about the next chapter  :)

~Sam