Chapter Twenty Six: Leaving

After nearly an hour of us unable to agree on a college I liked, I gave up. I know our parents are probably livid that we left, but I don't want to be in a house where I can hear my Mom talking and laughing.

Why? Because I miss that. I miss the way everything used to be. I miss when she would sit in my bed with me and read me books. I miss when she would brush my hair after my shower and braid it before school. I miss coming downstairs in the morning and seeing her in her pajamas dancing around the kitchen.

But she went crazy and tried to kill me on more than one occasion, and I'm terrified of what happens next.

When I move out, will Dad let her in? I think he would, because no matter what happened, he's still in love with her. If she really shows improvement, I think he would take her back.

But me? What if I give in a take her back and a few years down then road when I have kids of my own, she starts drinking again?

How can I trust her when she destroyed me so badly?

My phone vibrates with a message and I look down at it.

Dad: if you don't come home right now, I'm taking your car until the end of the year.

And he can, because I park it in his driveway, and I'm under eighteen.

Frustrated, I start shoving all my things in my backpack.

"Where are you going?" Danny asks.

"Dad said if I don't come home, he's taking my car."

He sighs slowly. "Do you want me to come with you?"

"I just kind of want to be alone." I mumble, picking at my nail polish.

"Alright." He says. "Well call me, okay? Or at least text me."

"Yeah." I mumble.

"Are you okay?" He asks, standing up as I head for the door.

"I'm fine."

"Grace, you don't seem fine."

"I'm fine, Danny." I say. "Just drop it, alright? I don't want to talk about it."

I know him though, and I know he isn't going to stop so easily.

He follows me outside.

"Did I do something?" He asks.

"You didn't do anything." I say.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." I unlock my Jeep. "Danny, I'm fine, okay? I'm just thinking about my Mom, but I'm fine."

"Alright." He says quietly.

*****

I sit across from my Dad on the couch. He's watching me and I'm looking right back at him.

"Gracelyn, this has to stop." He says finally.

"What?" I grumble.

"The sneaking out. Leaving whenever the hell you want to. I'm about to put up cameras and alarm systems so I know when you open that back door. You are a child. My child. I won't tolerate you doing whatever you want. When Danny is here, the bedroom door stays open. I don't need you having a child at your age. Your curfew is eleven. You will not have sleepovers unless they're spent in the living room. Again, if you go in the bedroom, the door stays open. If you break one of these rules, there will be a consequence."