The New Boy FAQ

Okay, so I did an FAQ when I finished Tragic Magic and it saved me having to answer the same questions over and over again, so I decided to do one for all my stories! :D

1) Are you writing a sequel?

Le no! No sequel for The New Boy, I'm afraid. But fret not. It's like a million chapters long, by the time you finish it you'll have forgotten everything anyway, so just go back to the start and read it again XD

2) Why no sequel?

LONG ANSWER OMG.

a) It ended perfectly. Like seriously, I know that's tooting my own trumpet, but it's the best ending I've ever written.

b) I've written a sequel to almost every other book I've posted online and it gets old having to rehash the same characters over and over again.

c) I love my boys. To write a sequel there has to be some sort of drama, usually a break-up or something equally traumatic, and I'm just not willing to put any more of my characters through that! Writing KMLYD (sequel to IGHS) broke my heart, it took almost a year to complete because I got so depressed every time I went to write a new chapter.

d) I don't feel that I need to rely on using well-loved characters to get reads/votes/comments; I'm happy to keep creating new characters and situations and romances for people to enjoy and fall in love with.

e) In the *highly unlikely* event that I ever decide to write a sequel to TNB, it will be vastly different to the original story. When people ask me to write a second book it's because a) they feel cheated that they didn't get a graphic lemon and b) they want the story to pick up where it left off. That wouldn't happen; it would be set well into the future and who knows what else would be different. One of them could be dead. Nobody wants that!

3) Why didn't you write a lemon for Alex and Dexter???!!1?

For because I didn't want to!

On a serious note, it didn't feel right. They did lots of naughty stuff and lots of fluffy stuff and when it came time for them to have sex, I felt like adding anything after Dexter's letter to Alex would have cheapened the story. Some stories work better with a lemon (for example, Tragic Magic wouldn't have worked without one) but a lot of stories are better without, and TNB was one of them.

4) Asexuality

I don't want to get into this too much but it's five years later and I'm still getting the shit kicked out of me in the comments for Alex's "ace-phobia" after he finds out Gary is asexual.

So am I.

I can't believe I'm having to defend my sexuality in the FAQ of a GSM story, but here we are.

Alex is a sixteen year old boy lashing out at the person who hurt him in his diary. In private. The way he speaks to Gary about his asexuality later reflects how he truly feels, but when he says the "offensive" things about it he's HURTING. My characters are HUMAN. They're not perfect all the time because nobody is. Comparing how he writes about Gary to how Kevin treats Andie and Alex is a gross mischaracterisation of his actions.