Chapter 7 - Wine and Peppers

“Hey, I think you dropped this.”

Emma was having a drink next to the water fountain outside class, when she felt something being pushed into her hand. She turned to see Max looking sneakily at her.

“Oh. Thanks,” she said, staring at a folded piece of paper somewhat confused.

“You’re welcome,” he said, winking at her. She also thought he had motioned towards outside with his head, but wasn’t sure if he was just leaving on his own in that direction anyway.

Once he had left, she stuffed the piece of paper in the front pocket of her jeans. Not wanting to raise any suspicion, she made her way towards the bathroom and opened it up excitedly.

Meet me outside in 10? Please.

God, what was he up to now? Letting her curiosity and rebelliousness get to the better part of her, she threw the note in the trashcan and headed outside.

She tried to remain calm and pretended as if she was just going outside for a smoke, like so many other students did in between class. She was nervous about this though, the last thing she needed was for Roy to lose his shit again.

She thought back to the other day and how he had reacted after the Econ fiasco. Once they had left Max behind rambling about god knows what, and she had finally gotten some color back in her cheeks once they went around the corner, Roy had grabbed her arm. Hard.

“Don’t fucking play games with me, you hear? I saw him grab your waist and try to make a move on you. I’m not saying I don’t believe YOU. But I definitely have got my eye on him. He obviously wants you and I’m glad you shrugged him off. Not bad having a lil’ extra muscle on your side, huh toots?” he had said, cocking his head as he was eagerly amused at his display of strength and wits.

“I mean, please. Walkie talkie BS. This guy? Pathetic.” Roy had laughed, as he didn’t even notice how hard he had grabbed her and pulled her.

She could only gulp at the time, holding back the tears and disgust, but not for Max. “You’re right, Roy... pathetic,” she had said.

She dismissed the bad memory and trekked ahead, wanting to put the whole thing behind her. When she finally crossed the school exit, she was surprised to see no one was out there. Not even Max. Seriously, what was he up to?

She heard a car lightly honk in front of her and saw that he was in the driver seat of a blue Volvo across the street. Was he crazy? She cautiously made his way towards him, stopping to see if there was anyone watching her.

“Get in,” he said through the half-lowered window.

“You’ve officially lost your mind, Max.”

“Please. I need to talk to you. I promise no funny business.”

“Now? We still have two more classes left for the day.”