Chapter 15 - A Little B&E

Emma quietly opened the door to room 1502 and stepped inside. The lights were off so she made her way towards the bedroom in the dark, running her hand against the wall to keep her balance. Once her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she was relieved to see he was already fast asleep in his bed.

Good. This would make it a lot easier to just slip out in the morning. Who knows, maybe if she was lucky he wouldn’t even know she had been there. She was fairly certain he would be pissed at her again for avoiding him once more during the past two days. She couldn’t really help it though. Max had started making her feel and think things that were way too dangerous for her to come to terms with. Distance seemed like the only solution...until then.

She sat down in the bed next to him while she discretely studied him. He was positioned in the middle of the bed, so unfortunately that meant she wouldn’t have much space in the bed for herself or would be forced to cuddle up against him. Maybe crashing on the sofa would be a better idea.

She leaned over him to reach for a pillow when a warm hand grabbed her arm and stopped her. Gasping, she looked down at him and sure enough he was looking at her through hooded eyes.

“Am I still dreaming?” he whispered.

“No,” she giggled. She pinched him slightly on the arm. “See?”

He smiled and rubbed his eyes. “Then it must be heaven. You look like an angel dressed like that.”

She looked down at her dress and grinned. Well, she was wearing white. She would give him that much. “You were dreaming about me?” She couldn’t help asking the question.

“I always dream about you.”

Her eyes widened at his blunt response. “What…do you dream about?”

He sat up against the headboard and gave her a knowing look. “You would run away if I told you.”

She was glad it was dark because a huge blush crossed her face at that statement.

“What are you doing here anyway? What time is it?” he asked.

“I couldn’t sleep. About 1:30am,” she shrugged.

“The bouncy bed isn’t working out for you?” he teased.

“It’s pure torture. It makes so much noise any time I make the slightest movement and it deflates so quickly I end up on the floor every morning.”

He released her arm, which he had still been holding, and ran his fingers through his hair. “So I take it you want to sleep here?” he asked in between yawning.

“Yeah, well you said I could. Remember?”

“Hmm. I don’t remember saying anything about actual sleeping going on. Besides, that offer expired a few days ago.”